Grants:Project/Rapid/OFWA/Women of the Wiki
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing female editors
- Create a minimum of 10 new articles about women or female-related topics on Wikipedia.
- Improve a minimum of 10 articles on women or female-related topics on Wikipedia.
- Upload a minimum of 10 photos of notable women from Ghana.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- The event includes 1 editathon and a photohunt session. The intended purpose here is to write some new articles about women and other female related topics on Wikipedia, while also improving the quality of such contents through the addition of audiovisual contents to enhance the visibility of such content.
- An editathon will be held on the 31st March to create and improve such articles on Wikipedia.
- The team will use a period of two weeks to take, gather and upload new photos of existing or new articles about our theme on Wikipedia.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The event has already been sent to the wider community in Ghana.
- It has been shared via our social media outfits (Facebook, Whatsapp groups, twitter, Instagram, etc.) for the past two weeks and still being shared up until the event date.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- We have several experienced editors who will be willing to play a role in this event.
- Felix Nartey, Joy Agyepong & Stella Agbley
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The event will be organized at the Goethe Institute and will have the necessary environment to work. There will also be some extra computers to be used by participants.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Participants are normally engaged through whatsapp and we have a personnel specifically available for mentoring.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- 2 events will be held in total.
- We hope to have at least 20 participants in attendance.
- We hope to recruit at least 10 new editors.
- We hope to create at least 10 new articles.
- We hope to improve at least 10 articles.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Joy Agyepong - Joy has on many occasions lead several activities in Ghana, especially gender-related activities. She is experienced and has mentored a lot of women in the past. Will be in charge facilitating the session.
- Stella Agbley - Stella has on many occasions lead several activities in Ghana, especially gender-related activities. She is experienced and has mentored a lot of women in the past. Will be in charge of logistics and mentoring on the day.
- Pamela Boateng - A budding lady who has been recently abducted into the team and has a lot of potentials to show. She has mentored a couple of people who have been recruited into the community and will be specifically responsible with social media campaigns and mentoring in the session.
- Edward Afful - A budding volunteer developer in the movement, and will specifically support with tech issues.
- Michael Frimpong - He is also a budding editor and will be in charge of communications and will support during the training.
- Felix Nartey - Experienced editor and has led in many capacities in the movement for the past 5 years. Will act as an advisor for the team.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Items||Quantity||Unit Price GHS||Total in GHS||Total in USD||Comments|
|Feeding||25||40||1000||Food for 20 participants and 5 more for team, participants will stay at venue for almost a day so the amount is for a snack and lunch.|
|Water||2||25||50||We anticipate that every body will have at least 2 bottles of water for the day.|
|Transportation||6||200||1200||Transportation for 6 trips for 4 team members at GHS 50 per head.|
|Feeding||6||160||960||Feeding for 6 trips for 4 team members at GHS 40 per head.|
|Team Management||6||100||600||This will cater for the minimum related cost of the team to during the project (for example call cost towards the execution of the project, transportation to and from event venue, etc.).|
|Internet||1||399||399||It is required for both events as internet is our major infrastructure.|
|Printing materials||1||300||300||This will involve printing and designing of flyers and other items such as the cheat sheet etc.|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Africa needs lots of work to narrow the gap. I support all the OFWA's projects! they are of value.--May Hachem93 (talk) 20:22, 23 March 2018(UTC)
- Support I strongly endorse this granting for funding since it addresses one of the goals the foundation is working to address in its strategy for 2030. Rberchie (talk) 20:41, 23 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support I believe it's time to make women's image as well as their contribution visible on Wikipedia. The gap should be closed and this event will help make it possible.Joy Agyepong (talk)
- Support I believe that more work needs to be done to make notable Women across Africa more visible and endorsing this grant would help achieve this purpose. SAgbley (talk)
- Support This grant will go a long way to enable more visibility of notable women on Wikipedia as against their male counterparts. pambelle12 (talk)
- Support I strongly believe this project would be more helpful to women across the African setting.The purpose for this project is laudable.Roysandytei (talk)
- Support This is in support of shared knowledge for all in our community EddyAfful (talk) 15:09, 25 March 2018 (UTC)
- Support This project will support women accross Africa, and will help reduce gender gap. Youssef Ben Haj Yahia (talk)
- Support I support this project as women need to be more present in the Encyclopedia, in Africa in general, and particularly in Ghana. This project is an enabler and will be a good start to close the gender gap. Anass Sedrati (talk) 06:47, 26 March 2018 (UTC)
- It is important that we pay attention to women on the Wiki. Coupled with the fact that this is organized by Open Foundation West Africa (OFWA). OFWA has proven itself to be a formost Wikimedia UG in Africa and is trusted to get a great impact via this project. Kayusyussuf (talk) 07:41, 26 March 2018 (UTC)