Grants:Project/Rapid/OtuNwachinemere/Photowalk of institutions of higher learning in Abuja and Niger states
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add content on Wikimedia Commons
- Improve content on EN-Wikipedia
- Recruit new editors - Including professional photographers
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- There will be 8 photowalks and 5 participants. Each tour will cover one institution and environs.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- Architecture, Landscape, Monuments, Main entrances, Libraries etc. All the subjects have articles on Wikipedia but no photos. they include: Federal University of Technology, Minna, Federal Polytechnic Bida, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, University of Abuja, Baze University, Nile University of Nigeria, Veritas University, Dorben Polytechnic
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
4. How will you let participants know about the photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Messaging apps: WhatsApp and Zoom
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be an edit-a-thon right after each photowalk to link photos to existing articles
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Only 1 participant currently has a Camera, We will rent 4 more for the other participants. There will be a brief training on good photography and how to navigate Commons.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- I am certain that when this project is completed, its products will serve beyond Commons and the English Wikipedia as many other published language pages will use the photos to update their articles.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants - 5
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - 300
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects - 60 (at least 20%)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Laptops, 1 Camera, accommodation and security.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Renting of 4 cameras 80 X 4 = 320
- Payment of local transport fare to participants 20 X 5 X 8 = 800
- Food and Drink during each of the Photowalk 13 X 5 X 8 = 520
- Internet access for the participants during upload sessions 10 X 8 = 80
- Branded Shirts & ID 20 X 5 = 100
- Miscellaneous = 50
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This is indeed a wow project, love the idea and i strongly endorse it 100percent. JosefAnthony (talk)
- This is not just going to improve the contents on wiki-commons but also improve the Nigerian contents on Wikipedia. I strongly endorse this Udehb (talk) 23:04, 11 June 2021 (UTC)
- I endorse this project Kid Keen 47 (talk) 19:39, 14 June 2021 (UTC)
- This project will gather juicy photos that can help illustrate these institutions better on Wikipedia, which will give readers a greater insight to appreciate the article and the institution more. Ceslause (talk) 13:45, 24 June 2021 (UTC)