Grants:Project/Rapid/Ptinphusmia/Wiki for Human Rights 2021 in Nigeria
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve existing local content about healthy natural systems that are sources of potable water, air, food and others alike.
- Join the #WikiForHumanRights Campaign 2021 in increasing the visibility/readability of Wikipedia articles related to the theme "rights to a healthy Environment".
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning 2 editathons focused on improving local contents on environmental health, communities impacted by environmental issues in Nigeria, humans rights and the environment, environmental degradation, Climate Change, Biodiversity loss and pollution among others. This knowledge is key for society's recovery from COVID-19. Increased awareness in environmental rights will be an addendum to the many strategies the world is adopting to ensure an effective and greener crisis response and recovery. You can read more here
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
- This has been done by making a notification on the discussion page of Wikimedia Nigeria Usergroup with the support of Wikimedians from Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official facebook fan page. We have also started discussions with the United Nations office in Nigeria.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
- This will be done through email notifications and invitations, Social media channels, and phone calls.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
- We have User:James Moore200 Who is the convener of the 2021 Wiki Loves SDGs in Nigeria and a member of the team that coordinated Wikipedia @20 in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. User: Ptinphusmia will also lead as the project coordinator, considering my wealth of experience in organizing Wikimedia projects such as South East Edit-a-thon, Wiki4climate online edit-a-thon, facilitating movement strategy follow-up discussions for room 2 of Skills and Leadership Development (cluster C) and moderating the two-day strategy discussions for Igbo Wikimedia Usergroup
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes! The participants have laptops and smart phones which can be used during the edit-a-thons. I will be providing unlimited fast-speed internet that will be used for the editathon meetups.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will use our Whatsapp group for the participants to talk and share ideas. We will also set up a support system to encourage new editors.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is a project that will train and engage staff of UN office in Nigeria to contribute to contents related to the campaign's theme "right to a healthy Environment" in relation to Nigeria. Beyond this contribution, this is an opportunity to spur the UN office to action to ensure there is a good representation of stories depicting rights and the Environment in the Nigerian context on Wikipedia. There is also a possibility of partnership with them on future projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of participants - 25
- Number of new editors - 25
- Number of of articles created or improved - 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- refreshments (Snacks and lunch) = $162.5/event × 2 events = $325
- Transportation fee for Organizers within Lagos = $50
- Air Travel for Organizers = $475
- Accommodation for the Organizers = $97.5 /day × 4 = $390
- Feeding for the Organizers = $62.5/day × 4 = $250
- Rental = $39
- internet subscription = $75/event × 2events = $150
- Airtime for Communication = $13
- Roll-up Banner = $65
- Branded T-shirts = $7.8/person × 10 = $78
- Sourvenirs @ $5/person × 27 = $135
- Contingency = $30
Total = $2000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support*I strongly support the idea of this project and what it seeks to achieve. I believe it will go a long way to create content that will help bridge the knowledge gap on Human Rights. Major Lyte (talk) 02 April 2021 (UTC)
- Support this is a great idea.AnasskokoTalk 19:54, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
- Support The project is a great one and I am sure the the aims will be achieved(talk) —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Prithee P (talk) 20:07, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
- Cause it's the right thing to do. Adeladanismail9 (talk) 22:14, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
- ' Strong support' Great Idea.Oby Ezeilo (talk) 22:29, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
- The project incapusulates isues that continually affect the space we are in and i see it as an opportunity to raise awareness and solutions about those issues Zend2020 (talk) 07:21, 3 April 2021 (UTC) 07:15, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
- I agree with this project because it will serve as awareness for people to know their rights as humans and be familiar with the environment they live in. Dammy Kaka (talk) 21:40, 3 April 2021 (UTC)
- Support Another opportunity to train and equip new editor with the right skill to contribute back. So yea I strongly support it!. Dolphyb (talk) 15:03, 4 April 2021 (UTC)
- Support This is a great project that will help improve local contents on Human rights while also helping to recruit and train new editors. Omorodion1 (talk) 19:38, 4 April 2021 (UTC)
- With the recent events in Nigeria involving human rights, it's a good topic to educate more people on and I greatly endorse it. Tochiprecious (talk) 10:30, 5 April 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support*This is a great contribution for the international campaign for #WikiForHumanRights2021. Kunokuno (talk) 07:23, 7 April 2021 (UTC)