Grants:Project/Rapid/UG-GE/Competition of Natural Sciences
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors.
- Increase skills for existing editors.
- Create new articles about Natural Sciences.
- Popularization of Georgian Wikipedia.
- Improve Wikipedia content on natural sciences.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- The subject of natural sciences (physics, chemistry, biology) is very weak in the Georgian Wikipedia, which is why the readers of the Georgian Wikipedia face problems. Unfortunately, there are very few editors in the Georgian Wikipedia or almost none of them who would work on this topic. With this contest, we want to increase the number of new articles and the number of new users, who will work on this topic. The competition will be held within two months (April-May), during which a training on working in wikipedia will be held for interested persons.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We created a project page in Georgian Wikipedia and when the project begins we will, through the central notification, preempt all Wikipedia visitors about the project. Also, through our official accounts in social networks (kawiki Facebook, UG-GE Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), we will attract new members and warn them about our project.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Mehman97 organizer of "Wiki Loves Monuments" 2017-2018 and "Wiki Loves Earth" 2018 in Georgia, also the organizer of the The Women You Have Never Met 2018 in Georgia, From Independence To Freedom, Wikipedia Asian Month 2018, Georgian WikiConference 2018 and Bakuriani WikiCamp.
- Jaba1977 participant of many camps, where he conducted trainings for young people in the work with Wikipedia and Bakuriani WikiCamp.
- MIKHEIL organizer WIKIGAP 2018 in Tbilisi, conducted many trainings about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects; Bakuriani WikiCamp.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- All existing Wikipedia participants have all the necessary skills and technical devices to participate in the competition. New participants if they do not have the necessary skills, we will help them to conduct lessons for them and those participants, who will not have technical adaptations: the Central Library of the Tbilisi State University makes it possible to use both the Internet and computers for free.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We try to hold many thematic contests, so the editors are free to take part in our projects.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project interested us, as the project deals with a very urgent problem of today, specifically: today, the percentage in Wikipedia articles about Natural Sciences is much less, with the help of this project, we want to narrow the gap this.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 15-20
- Number of new editors: 5-10
- Number of of articles created or improved: 50-60
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): —
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The organizers of the project will be two experienced participants of the Georgian Wikipedia and UG-GE, who have held several successful projects together. There are no other financial sources of the Georgian Wikipedia, except for the WMF.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- We for the winners of the contest we calculated vouchers for the purchase of books that are available in the BIBLUSI bookstore. Also, additionally we ask the amount for online advertisements in social networks.
|Items||Sub-items||Amount (GEL)||Amount (USD)||Total|
|Vouchers||Physics||1.200 ₾ (for the first (500 ₾), second (400 ₾) and third (300 ₾) places)||450 $ (USD)||450 $ (USD)|
|Chemistry||1.200 ₾ (for the first (500 ₾), second (400 ₾) and third (300 ₾) places)||450 $ (USD)||450 $ (USD)|
|Biology||1.200 ₾ (for the first (500 ₾), second (400 ₾) and third (300 ₾) places)||450 $ (USD)||450 $ (USD)|
|Certificates||For ~25 Participant||50 ₾||19 $ (USD)||19 $ (USD)|
|Unforeseen expenses||—||100 ₾||38 $ (USD)||38 $ (USD)|
|Grand total||1.437 $ (USD)|
Total requested: 1.437 $ (USD)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!