Grants:Project/Rapid/VVIT WikiConnect/Annual Plan (2019–2020)
During the last academic year 2018–2019, we organised a number of activities such as Wikidata workshop, Wikipedia and MediaWiki training program, photo walk, advanced training sessions, 1lib1ref sessions, and several other edit-a-thons. All our activities can be read in detail at VVIT WikiConnect/Activities/2018-2019. All these were conducted with funds from previous rapid grantfor the annual plan, and partly supported by CIS-A2K in some cases. A detailed report of our previous grant can be read at Grants:Project/Rapid/VVIT WikiConnect/Annual Plan (2018–2019)/Report. In the report, we've explained how our activities went last year, impact and goals, and learning. This year will implement those learnings and improve our activities, and also focus on expanding our community.
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
During the past 12 months, we successfully organized consecutive edit-a-thons and other activities under the college level Wikipedia club at Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology titled VVIT WikiConnect. During the upcoming academic year starting from May 2019, we plan to organize various activities to:
- Recruit new editors
- Train existing editors on new skills and projects
- Add/improve the content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- As a part of the annual plan we will organize the following activities:
- Wikidata Training Course: From our previous Wikidata workshops, we understood that instead of three individual workshops for different students, it would be more impactful to run a training course for 3–4 months. We will engage 30-40 students in this program, during which the participants will be engaged through both online and offline classes. Starting from the basics of editing Wikidata to building the queries and also some advanced tools like OpenRefine, will be taught. Tasks will be given according to the sessions and upon successful completion, they will be awarded a certificate issued by CIS-A2K.
- Wikisource Training Course: Though we had a Wikisource planned last year, we were not able to do it due to time constraint. But this year, instead of a workshop, we will be organising a three-months online course, separately for English and Telugu Wikisource. During the course, we'll be engaging ten students for each language. Upon successful completion of certain tasks, a certificate will be awarded issued by CIS-A2K.
- Photo-walks: An effective way to improve the digital presence of a particular location/ period of time/ or making of a craft/ art-work is to get their visual representation; photos and videos. We will engage 3-5 students for each photo-walk
- Following activities are planned under photo-walk
- Amaravathi GLAM Activity: We have spoken to Amaravathi Kalachakra Museum officials last year, and they granted us the permission for a photo-walk. We will be photographing the antiques and also create respective Wikidata items for them, with suitable identifiers.
- Ceramic Industry and Saree Weaving: To document the processes of the making of glassware (ceramics) and sarees.
- Restaurents: To document various dishes and improve the coverage of cuisines on Wikimedia Commons.
- English Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: English Wikipedia is relatively tough and to make this event smooth, all the interested students will be filtered in 2-3 rounds which will test their writing skills. Though we've conducted a training course last year, it took too long. Instead of that, we'll do an edit-a-thon for interested students, and then follow up with those who seem to be interested after go through the whole process.
- Telugu Wikipedia Edit-a-thon: This will be conducted on a parallel track with English Wikipedia Edit-a-thon. The same procedure of followup will be maintained for Telugu as well.
- Wikitionary Activity: We’ll organize a Wikitionary activity in which pronunciations for 1000 Telugu words will be recorded. For this, there will be 10 participants each participant will be assigned 100 words each. Using the tool "Pronouncify", we will record the pronunciations, and upload them to Wikimedia Commons, for later use on Wikimedia projects.
- Thematic Edit-a-thons: We have observed that thematic edit-a-thons and campaigns pave a way to achieve editor retention after workshops.
- Last year, we conducted several thematic edit-a-thons like 1lib1ref, Independence Day label-a-thon, WWWW, Hockey world cup edit-a-thon etc., we would like to do the same if they have another season and if possible, some new ones too, during 2019-2020.
- Travel and Participation Support: We'll support members from our club to participate in national level Wikimedia events.
- Apart from the above-mentioned activities, the club will have regular weekly/bi-weekly meetups, coordinators' meetings etc.
Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the plan?
- We've the past club coordinators who have been working on Wikimedia project for more than two years now, and they will support the newly elected coordinators to successfully execute the annual plan, and reach our goals. By this rotational leadership, we would like to make the sustainable for years to come. Our coordinators are listed at VVIT WikiConnect/Coordinators. KCVelaga, who led founded this club and led the previous year's annual plan will be passing out from college, he'll be advising the coordinators from time to time, remotely.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- For workshops, we'll attract the participants through college-wide notices, and social media groups. For communication and notifications among members, we have a WhatsApp group and a mailing list vvitwikiconnect archive - options - send.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the upcoming academic year i.e. April 2020, we'll have a stronger community and the club will thrive towards building and adopting sustainable practices. We've increased our editor base compared to last year, and we will increase it further this time. More numerical targets, we plan to focus on editor retention and bring in diversity and innovation in the activities.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of students to be engaged: 150
- Number of edit-a-thons: 3
- Number of Wikidata training program(s): 1
- Number of Wikisource training program(s): 1
- Number of MediaWiki Workshop(s): 1
- Number of photo-walk(s): 2
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All the infrastructural support will be provided by the college as an in-kind donation. We will also be taking the support of CIS-A2K, whenever needed, especially when the activity involves external trainers for other states of the country.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|S.No||Description||Amount (INR) per unit||No. of units/iterations||Total amount (INR)||Notes|
|1||Wikidata Training Course||₹12,000||1||₹12,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|2||Wikisource Training Course||₹12,000||1||₹12,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|3||MediaWiki Workshop||₹15,000||1||₹15,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|4||Photo-walk||₹7,000||3||₹21,000||For local travel and food|
|5||Equipment purchase||₹5,000||1||₹5,000||Internet hotspot and data pack|
|6||Thematic edit-a-thons||₹5,000||4||₹20,000||For handouts, snacks etc.|
|7||Club meetings||—||Variable||₹12,000||Weekly/bi-weekly, coordinators' meetings|
|8||Operating and stationery expenses||—||Variable||₹6,000||Papers, printing, files, communication etc.|
|9||Travel & Participation Support||₹5,000||2||₹10,000||Funding for the expenses of individual editors to participate in other Wikimedia events|
|10||Swag and merchandize||—||Variable||₹2,000||Stickers, pins etc. with Club logo|
|₹137,500||US$1995.43 (as of 07:55, 11 April 2019 (UTC))|
|2||Globe Stickers (50 pack)||3|
|3||Wikimedia Project Stickers (14 pack)||3|
|4||Wikipedia Globe Buttons (50 pack)||2|
|5||Wikipedia Pens (5 pack)||3|
- Support Asrija1 (talk) 11:21, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support SuswethaK (talk) 11:45, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Mekala Harika (talk) 11:46, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Naga sai sravanth (talk) 11:48, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Nivas10798 (talk) 11:58, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support MNavya (talk) 11:59, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sri Lekha Pathakamuri (talk) 12:20, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Eswar Prabhat (talk) 12:50, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sreemanognyan (talk) 13:18, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support I'm Irfan (talk) 13:34, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support B leelasai (talk) 14:37, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Good Luck! Best wishes from Nepal. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk) 10:26, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support A group of hardworking and enthusiastic wikimedians. Trust them totally to pull this off and deliver what is being promised. All the best.-Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 16:13, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Best wishes for your work. --Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 06:49, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 16:35, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Best wishes! - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 11:06, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support During the last year's annual plan, the club has formed a decent editor base and did several activities impacting various Wikimedia projects. With all the learning, I am confident that the existing coordinators will do well with this annual plan as well. KCVelaga (talk) 11:46, 27 April 2019 (UTC)