Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Communicates Climate
- Please see the sample Video campaign application before drafting your application.
- You can also read a recent video campaign application, Promotion of Punjabi Wikipedia on Social Media and their related report.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Produce video content to promote Wikimedia projects
- Produce video content to promote Wikimedia campaigns
- Produce video content to promote climate communication
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Our project Wiki Communicates Climate is a project that leverages on the open movement structure to provide a platform for young people and indigenous people who ordinarily struggle to get their voices heard on climate and environmental justice to reach the world with their stories. Another major objective is bridging the language barrier by translating these stories into 3 local indigenous Ghanaian languages with sign language for people who are hearing impaired. The project includes training 40 young university students on how to edit on Wikipedia and how to upload content on climate change and environmental justice on Wikimedia Commons
After the training, 5 participants shall be interviewed to produce a short 5 minutes video each. The original videos shall be in English however each of the videos shall be translated into the three indigenous Ghanaian languages - Twi, Ga and Dagomba. The content of the video shall seek to address these questions: (1 min each) What is your understanding of climate change and biodiversity loss? What real-time impacts of climate change and biodiversity loss do you see in your community? What in your view is the relationship between climate change, pollution, and biodiversity loss? What impacts have climate change, pollution, and biodiversity loss on human life? What actions are you taking? As Inclusion remains a vital part of this project, 5 new videos of indigenous people who are affected by climate change and biodiversity loss shall be recorded. These videos shall be in local languages but transcribed to English Language for all. In all we shall produce 20 videos in 3 languages with sign language and train 40 young students. Also, there will be four virtual training sessions to provide additional support.
1. What is your promotion plan?
You can produce an animation video to promote a Wikimedia project and promote it by using ads on Twitter. You can promote an online campaign, such as Wiki Loves Monuments, by producing an interview video and promoting it on Facebook, Twitter, etc., using ads.
- We shall promote our project in three main ways:
-Through premiering on virtual platforms, community information centers, and with organized societies like the Ghana Society of People Living with Disability.
-Using social media ads and boost - Facebook, Telegram, Instagram, and Twitter.
-Leverage on our networks with a local and global organization in the green and sustainability landscape
We shall promote our video by using our network of volunteers in our organization and the platform of CSOs for SDG. We shall also use our Facebook page to promote the page. Again since we work mainly in local and indigenous communities we shall use the Community Information Centers to promote our video.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We shall create a meta page for this project which will be shared and communicated through various communities like the Wikimedia SDGs mailing list and telegram platform, Wikimedia Africa mailing list, WikiVibrance platform, Human Rights telegram platform, Wikimedia User Groups in Ghana ( Open Foundation West Africa). We shall reach the participants through the departmental associations in the university.
We shall promote the video on all social media handles of Eco Warriors Movement tagging other organizations in our network. Mainly Facebook, Instagram, twitter and telegram
3.Do you have any experience in online promotion or video production?
Were you involved in a similar project in the past? Do you have any other experience in producing videos or multimedia files?
- Eco Warriors Movement, the lead organization for this project has been involved in similar projects like this before. We have both technical and mobilization experience so far as this project is concerned. Previous work in line with this project can be seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CXSuPkIZIHwdT-BTZY0lmiPlhXIB21mQ/view?usp=sharing , https://drive.google.com/file/d/14kKerpdf0q8O2ybLAbpJPdZHrPNUa-zl/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUl3zXq9viqsnZbYjjZ9NRic3chxTRSG/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W-L3Ju_WYuqjAHUn6eGGU2XsfOPgM3vP/view?usp=sharing
Otuo-Akyampong, the team lead is personally connected to the department of Environmental Science as a Research Associate. It will therefore be easy to mobilize the students and run the project following all protocols.
4. Do you or others in your team have the skills needed to manage the video production and promotional campaign?
Do you already have a team and specific roles assigned to people based on tasks such as scriptwriting, direction, cinematography, etc.?
- We have a team in place. The team includes both technical persons and persons with expertise in training workshop organizing and video production. This is a team we have worked with over the years so their commitment and availability is assured. We have in our team:
-Trainers on topics on environmental issues and Wikimedia projects. -Photographers -Video/Photo editors -Scriptwriters -Project Coordinator
5. What’s your post promotion plan?
What do you plan to do after your campaign ends?
- To rightly monitor, effectively evaluate, report with evidence and learn from this project we shall create a dashboard where all volunteers we train will sign up. Again we shall create a category in Wikimedia Commons specifically for this project. These will give us a fair mid and post project monitoring strategy for a good and evidential report. We shall continue to provide assistance for the new community we shall form through office hours and virtual training. We will grow the community to become vibrant as it will ensure further collaboration and partnership between Eco Warriors Movement and the Wikimedia Foundation.
After the project we shall continue sharing the video with stakeholders to further communicate the perception of youth and indiginous people on climate and environmental justice
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We shall leverage on our broad network of organizations in the green space and the sustainability ecosystem to promote the videos and kick start a process to include some videos in the resolution of the UNEP Major Group of Children and Youth? We shall also share the videos( the commons link) with Earthday.org as part of the Earthday celebration. We at Eco Warriors Movement look forward to a continued partnership and collaboration with Wikimedia Foundation.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of people reached (saw the ad) 1000
- Number of video views (saw the video) 100
- Number of link clicks (clicked on the link to visit project/campaign page) 100
- Number of campaign participants (edited or contributed) 40
We shall create a dashboard for all volunteers to sign up so we can monitor the success of the project. Again we shall create a category on Commons for all Commons uploads. Indicators of project success shall include
Training of 40 university students on how to edit on Wikipedia and upload on Commons Production of 20 short videos in 3 indigenous Ghanaian languages with sign language The 20 videos include 5 videos of indigenous people who are affected by climate change and biodiversity loss Premiering of the videos on Eco Warriors Movement platforms and with Ghana Society of People Living with Disabilities. As part of the project we shall organize a training workshop on Wikipedia and Commons. We shall train 40 people on how to edit on Wikipedia and how to upload multimedia content on Commons. We expect to produce a total of 20 videos all with sign language for the benefit of people with hearing impairment. These 20 videos shall include 5 videos from local and indigenous people who are greatly affected by climate change on their perception of climate and environmental justice. All the 20 videos in 3 different local Ghanaian languages shall be uploaded on Commons. To ensure we reach our audience we shall premier the videos on all Eco Warriors Movement virtual platforms. Using our network with the Ghana Society of People with Disabilities, we shall organize a special premiering of the videos for the society as means of ensuring inclusion in climate communication
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Eco Warriors Movement is the organization organizing the project. The Eco-Warriors Movement will organize two training workshops in partnership with the Department of Environmental Science and Department of Languages - KNUST, record 5 videos (5 minutes each) of participants on climate change and environmental justice, translate all 5 videos into 3 local indigenous Ghanaian languages, record 5 videos of indigenous people in villages who are affected by climate change and who deserve justice, edit all videos and upload on Commons. The Eco-Warriors Movement has the logistics to record and edit videos like a camcorder, tripod stand, boom mic, and the technical team.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Frequency||Amount(¢)||Amount ($)||Description|
|Venue for training||500||1||2||1000||160||A spacious venue to allow social distancing, equipped with projector and PA system|
|PPEs for Covid protocol||250||1||2||500||80||Nose mask and sanitizers for participants|
|Transportation for team||150||4||2||1200||192||covers transportation of team members during the planning phase and|
|Lunch and Snack||50||40||2||4000||640||Refreshment for participants including food, snack and water|
|Allowance for facilitation||500||2||2||2000||320||Allowance to cover the transportation, feeding and honorarium of facilitators and sign language team|
|Video production||400||20||1||8000||1280||Includes the directing, editing, and final production of the videos|
|Video promotion and premiering||500||1||3||1500||240||Includes cost of premiering of the videos in community information centers and virtual premiering|
|Administrative cost (Data, Communication etc)||1000||1||1||1000||160||All other costs including printing, communication, data for team members|
|Total||1920||3072||Total amount needed for the project|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support- The group is well known for their active engagement of the youth on environmental projects and it will be great to enroll youth environmental activists to contribute to Wikimedia projects. Ruby D-Brown (talk) 11:58, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Eco Warriors Movement has a great team Nathan David Obeng-Amoako (talk) 11:14, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- The group Eco Warriors Movement is very enthusiastic about climate change and can carry out the project properly. Baah Thomas (talk) 11:39, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- The Eco Warriors movement is a very well equipped in climate change and can carry out this project very effectively [username:Kobby Kat][ARKOH THEOPHILUS KOBINA] 13:57, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Climate change and its effects on the environment are of great concern to this organization. As a result, it can be trusted to complete this assignment successfully. 18.104.22.168 15:27, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- This is a great organization with much interest in issues relating to climate changes Jude Hammond (talk) 15:32, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- This project will help the organization to train new members, which will help in the translation of articles most especially into our local languages. Opoku Akaadom Sympathy (talk) 16:44, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support, I strongly support this project because it's of essence to the community at large. Jwale2 (talk) 16:55, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- I believe Eco Warriors Movement can effectively and efficiently execute this project as they have displayed great qualities in doing so hence my endorsement. 22.214.171.124 04:01, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support, I strongly this project and the quality of work and its impact. xibitgh (talk) 07:55, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Eco Warriors Movement's calibre which is showcased by their action-oriented human resource who have a wealth of experience in pro-environment activities makes the organization well placed to make a timely contribution to climate action. Ing Sam (talk) 09:35, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support It is a timely project in line with Wiki and Human Rights
- This project will make it possible for voices to be heard on an issue of global concern and also make information available in other languages. Gkbediako (talk) 14:55, 7 February 2022 (UTC)