Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Africa Mali 2020
Please see the related sample report for contests.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional) to wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Mali will focus on photo shooting activities under the theme play. Pictures will be uploaded on commons and will be used to illustrate Malians related articles on Wikipedia and on its sister projects. We will also make an exhibition of best images in partnership with a festival of book in Mali in order to encourage best images entries.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Offline: Word of mouth and posters will be printed and displayed in libraries, Universities and schools
- Online: We will set up social media pages (Facebook, Twitter ) to reach people online.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury of 5 professional and passionate photographers will set criteria and will select 3 best images based on these criteria.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please add specific targets (numbers) to the measures of success below and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants : 60
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 600+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects : 30+
- 60+ will be categorized as valued, quality or featured
- Number of participants : 30
- Number of articles created or improved : 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
N'fana is currently looking for additional funding. He is likely to receive in-kind donation, such as photo exhibition space at National Library of Bamako, at Institut Français and other structures.
- 1 USD = 593.085 FCFA (XOF) as of 7 December, 2019 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Summary|
|Launch event||Venue||1||$150||$150||This includes first launch event and second event. We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Africa project, wikicommons.|
|Venue||1||$150||$150||2 weeks after launch we will hold an uploading session and to raise awareness|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||5||$7.5||$37.5||T-shirts for organizers/staff
T-shirt will be given to contributors who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who has exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.
|Stickers & Badges||50||$0.5||$25|
|Printed Best Images||20||$5||$100|
|Transport||4||$25||$100||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading. Communication-Marketing (Posters, flyers and stickers printing, t-shirts, documents and photoshooting learning guides...)|
|Internet at the events||3||$50||$150|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||$10||$50|
(posters / Flyers )
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The award will be given as gift cards of different values: $175 for first prize, $100 for the second prize and $75 for the third one. This event will be hosted on a different venue, a plan is to hold this event for three hours at National Library of Bamako, at Institut Français or other structures and have at-least 80 to 100 people attending.
Best images will be exhibited at a cultural center Institut Français or libraries) in a digital format.
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$150||$150|
|Total: USD 1857.5|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Anthere (talk) I am glad to see that this year request involves activities and not just announcement and prizes. Outcomes last year were very low and I trust that holding real events will be have a positive impact and make things move forward. 600+ images may be a tad too optimistic though (my view). Also, I hope you will submit a report at the end so that we can see what worked and did not work and improve later.