Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
1.To add more freely licensed and quality images of Ghanaian monuments to Wikimedia Commons.
2.To engage the existing members.
3.Create new content for the photos taken and improve on the existing which we hope to finish by the end of November.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- We will be organizing 2 photo walks and one upload session. There will be 5 people on each walk making a total of 10 people.
The two photo-walks will cover 4 regions that have most of their monuments not photographed in the previous Wiki Loves Monuments competitions held in Ghana.
Here is a break down of the walks;
- Photo-walks to the Northern belt ( Upper West and Upper East Regions.)
- Photo-walks to the Southern belt (Western and Central Regions.)
Here is a link to monument list which contains some selected sites we will be visiting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana%27s_material_cultural_heritage
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
The photo walk will be focused on capturing quality images of monuments in the selected regions we have outlined for our photo expedition in Ghana.
It will have great importance when it is embedded on already created articles or new ones, while also acting as Ghana's entries for the international photo contest.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- After the walks, an upload session will be hosted where photos captured in the expeditions will be uploaded. For Wikipedia, new articles will be created for monuments which do not have one and the existing ones will be improved. Both new and existing articles will have photos captured from our expeditions linked to them from the ones we uploaded on Wikimedia Commons.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes! Participants have the equipment and skills needed to participate and contribute highly content.
We are made up of a professional team of writers, photographers and local guides. The writers will be in charge of acquiring the needed information from the various scenery that will be visited. Our professional photographer's will be in charge of capturing the monuments. Each photographer will be using not less than two (2) cameras for the project. Also a group of local guides have been contacted to assist with the locations.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will be based on getting quality images which does not exist on Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- 5 participants for each trip
- 10 participants (including community members) will be working on the project ( 3 of the photographers are new so they will be required to register for a Wikimedia account so as to contribute.)
- At least 100 quality photos or more will be uploaded onto Wikimedia Commons and later used on Wikipedia We will be measuring uploads with the outreach dashboard as well.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All photographers in this project will use their own camera.
- Experienced community members will be help create and improve targeted articles of monuments.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Request for funds has been divided into two categories for each two trips ( North and South )
Northern Belt Expedition Expenditure
Estimated for 5 Days for five people
|Funds allocated for local guide for 5 days||GHS 200|
|Estimated Monument site entry fees||GHS 300|
Southern Belt Expedition Expenditure
Estimated for 2 Days for five people
Driver's charge per night
|Funds allocated for local guide for 2 days||GHS 100|
|Estimated Monument site entry fees||GHS 300|
|Upload Session data cost||GHS 75|
|Food and Drinks for upload session||GHS 400|
|T-shirts for participants - estimated number of shirts (15PCS)||GHS 450|
|Contingency expenditure.Just in case of any accident and uncertain event||GHS 200|
OVERALL TOTAL = GHS 4640 + GHS 2478.4 + GHS 1125 = GHS 8243.4
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I Suleman Mubarak. I endorse this project due to its importance to the development of Ghana's database. The free license pictures that would be uploaded would help researchers and students, including explorers in their projects, and understanding of Ghana and it's monuments. Also, this pictures would increase the chance of tourist reaching more place of monumental interest. Also, Wikipedia's database would be improved regarding the pictures to be captured in the above project. Sat, 8 July 2017. 6:15 (UTC)
- I am totally in support of this great initiative. This project will be a great opportunity for members of the user group to contribute more on Wikipedia. Using pictures that will be provided . I hereby endorse it.
- kwameghana I endorse this project because its going to help unearth the monuments yet to be covered in Ghana.
- Randy baah It is a nice initiative and a great opportunity to show Ghana through Wikipedia
- Jaward (talk) 06:57, 3 August 2017 (UTC) This will get more content on commons and wiki data.
- SitsofeOfori (talk) 13:43, 3 August 2017 (UTC) I believe it would really help to increase and improve the number and state of photos of Ghanaian monuments available in the database. This is because the forerunners of the project are passionate about it and the work they are embarking on. The energy involved is palpable.
- I endorse this project fully, last year I was part of the team that went round for Wiki Loves Monument and what we found out was that there are a lot more of monuments in Ghana that needs documenting.Owula kpakpo (talk) 15:58 (UTC), Fri 4 August 2017.
- —M@sssly✉ 23:49, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- Let's get more quality monuments pictures from this project then. All the best! Nkansahrexford (talk) 08:40, 5 August 2017 (UTC)
- Anthony Addae I believe it will get more better work done.
- Abdul Gaani I fully support this initiative because of it importance to Ghana as a country. This will help showcase Ghana's monuments that are yet to be captured.