Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group/Wiki Loves Monuments 2019 in Benin
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To introduce Wiki Loves Monuments contest to existing and new contributors of wikimedia commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its purpose.
- To recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional) to wikipedia and its sister projects.
- To engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
- To increase or improve contents on Wikimedia Commons with freely licensed, and quality images of Benin monuments.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Images of Benin monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage are not adequately covered on Wikimedia Commons. This contest is an opportunity to contribute high quality images of these monuments, archaeological sites, and cultural heritage to Wikimedia Commons.
- It will help to increase the awareness of Wikimedia projects
- The workshop under this projects will help to correct wrong impression about Wikimedia movements in Benin
- It will help to introduce the basis of Wikimedia Commons and Wikimedia projects to many Benineses
- It will help to increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia projects
- It will help to increase the number of Benin-related contents on Wikimedia Commons
- It will help to increase the contents on Fon Wikipedia incubator project
- The contest will help to establish a long term relation with professional photographers
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Offline: Word of mouth and posters will be printed and displayed in libraries, Universities and schools
- Online: We will set up social media pages (Facebook, Twitter ) to reach people online.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury of 3 professional and passionate photographers will judge individual entries and award them based on the criteria of the contest.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons focused on using some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- If at least 25 people participates
- If at least 500 images are uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- If three months after the contest, 75 of uploaded images are used on wiki projects
- If at least 13 monuments are photographed
For writing contests:
- Number of participants : 20
- Number of articles created or improved : 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Fawaz.tairou (talk), Project Lead
- Adoscam (talk), Partnership
- Nerus1er (talk), Partnership
- Mah3110 (talk), Support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 591.357 FCFA (XOF) as of August, 18th 2019 
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Summary|
|Launch event||Venue||1||$150||$150||We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Monuments project, List of Benin Monuments and Wikimedia commons.
2 weeks after launch we will hold an uploading session and to raise awareness
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||5||$7.5||$37.5||T-shirts for organizers/staff|
|Internet at the events||2||$50||$100||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading.
Communication-Marketing (online only)
|Social Media (Promotion)||4||$10||$40|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$450||$450||1st prize $200
2nd prize $150
3rd prize $100
This event will be held at a different venue.
Best images will be exhibited at a cultural center (Fondation ZINSOU, Institut Français du Bénin, Bibliothèque Université d'Abomey-Calavi or Campus Numérique Francophone de Cotonou) in digital format
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$50||$50|
|Total: USD 977.5|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!