Grants:Project/Rapid/Zeroth/Open Glam Mexico 2018
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Share my experience regarding GLAM partnerships, digitization projects, and the fundamental impact that an alliance between the Wikimedia Movement and the public sector of Mexico can have regarding heritage recovery in digital contexts.
- Share my knowledge regarding copyright laws and reform, and how a good set of limitations and exceptions to those laws enable the existence of a broad set of digitization, availability and access projects regarding cultural heritage.
- Share information about the projects we are running in Uruguay, specially the ones regarding GLAM, digitization in public and community libraries, and the author's copyright clearance database autores.uy (https://autores.uy).
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- I'm a long time member of the wikimedia community, and currently President of Wikimedia Uruguay as well as coordinator of Wikimedia Digitization User Group. As such, i've been involved in all the GLAM initiatives we had thought the years, with several government and state organizations, as well as public and community groups, rising awareness of the importance of digitization, use of free licenses and public domain identification and recovery. Considering this experience, Wikimedia Mexico invited me to participate in the first national conference of Open GLAM organized between that affiliate and the Federal Secretary of Culture, aimed to the Mexican public sector. The main goal of the activity is to establish or improve existing collaborations between the Wikimedia Movement and the public sector, raise awareness regarding free culture, copyright reform, digitization and GLAM collaborations.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- Yes, i'll be a speaker in the panel about Copyright and Digitization, on September 6th. Also i'll be giving open workshops about digitization and Wikimedia to the Wikimedia Mexico members as well as informal talks with Mexican cultural sector attendees of the GLAM conference.
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- I will attend the panel "La protección intelectual y las licencias de uso para objetos digitales culturales" in the meeting, also I will give a talk about digitalization gaining lessons from my experience about Wikimedia Uruguay and autores.uy project
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- I will post examples from my work in Wikimedia Uruguay and other related to free knowledge and culture organizations and projects, like Creative Commons Uruguay and autores.uy
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- Although Wikimedia Mexico is the primary contact of the event I will collect contacts as I can to increase the projects of digitalization in the region. Mexico needs to increase the presence and activities around this topic so I hope my experience can be useful. Also I'm interested in know other projects or the current state of art in Mexico around the topics of my competence.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- Get in touch trough the chapter's contacts and collect my own data to make periodical follow ups in case that it's necessary. I have considered giving more feedback and support to Wikimedia Mexico in this topics if needed.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees: The event is planned for 200 attendees, 100 per day
- Number of new potential partners: at least 5
- Number of outreach activity participants: 40 for the digitization workshop ill be giving.
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 800u$s for round plane trip (Montevideo - City of Mexico).
- 300u$s for accommodation
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Rodrigo's participation will be very importand and supportive to our event. ProtoplasmaKid (WM-MX) (talk) 22:46, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support The participation of commitment volunteers as Rodrigo is very important for the development of the collaboration between different chapters and groups in the Latin American region. --Luisalvaz (talk) 23:28, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support We need to have the experience of Rodrigo in this meeting 220.127.116.11 00:08, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support petrohs (gracias) 01:19, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Rodrigo's experience has already helped many Wikimedians and the Mexican chapter, authorities and community can still learn a lot more from him. Andycyca (talk) 02:48, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Muñoz LC 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Rodrigo is one of the most experienced Wikimedians in GLAM in Latin America, his presence would be priceless to the movement. Maor X (talk) 09:20, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support I truly believe every effort to help expanding the GLAM project in Latin America has to be supported and Rodrigo's trip to Mexico certainly points in that direction --Fraguando (talk) 14:12, 16 August 2018 (UTC+1)
- Support Banfield - Reclamos aquí 13:47, 17 August 2018 (UTC)