Grants:Project/Rapid/lechatjaune/Mulheres na Ciência
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors, specially female editors.
- Add or improve content on woman scientists.
- Present the Educational Program to people in academic world.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- One thematic editathon in june 22th from 1:30pm to 6:10pm whose topic is "Women in Science", which puts together the interest of WMF in attracting female editors and improving content on that area. The edit-a-thon will be held at the Department of Pure and Applied Mathematics of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), one of the largest and highest rated universities in Brazil. This edit-a-thon is a pilot project of a series of events I intend to do in the near future, including other thematic edit-a-thon and talks about Wikipedia. I expect to reach an audience who would help me on my goals.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- An individual page has already been drafted on Wikipedia in Portuguese, see wikipedia:pt:Wikipédia:Edit-a-thon/Atividades em português/Mulheres na Ciência. A post on the Village Pump in Portuguese will be published. The event will be communicated by official digital channels of our university such as social networks and webpage. Posters are expected to be spread on campus and other strategic places, depending on funding. Emails will be sent with invitations to professors at other departments who have already shown interest in Wikipedia or Women in Science.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- I have been an editor for eleven years on wiki.pt (I am administrator and I have already been bureaucrat, checkuser and arbcom member), and math professor at UFRGS since 2011. I have already organized talks and meet-ups about Wikipedia. I participate in the Educational Program as a professor at UFRGS since 2013 and as a assistant of professor Cesar Bublitz (Cesarb89) at Instituto Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (a federal educational institute which provides Secondary, Technical, and Higher education) who hired a wikipedian in residence to work from May 2018 until February 2019. One experienced editor ( @Érico:, confirma? ) and two other professors will help me out during the event, one of them is an editor and Professor at the Educational Program (Esequia). Also there is one undergraduate student hired to work on OER under my supervision.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The event will be held in a computer laboratory with a computer, projector, 24 places, and 20 computers for participants; wireless access to internet is also available.
- This edit-a-thon is primarly targeted to new editors, so I expect volunteers to have little experience if at all on editing Wikipedia. In order to deal with that, I will provide a short trainning on editing techniques, enphasizing the visual editor and the content translation tool as well a brief explanation of basic rules of Wikipedia such as five pillars and notability criteria. Some easy tasks will be proposed to the participants, namely:
- Translation of biographies of women scientist from en.wiki and es.wiki into pt.wiki. A list of such articles which do not exist on pt.wiki is provided by a bot and available here.
- Writing new articles on women scientists. I will provide them at least two reliable sources: Dicionário Mulheres do Brasil (Dictionary Women in Brazil) whose full content is available online from IPs of the university and Pioneiras da Ciencia do Brasil (Women Pioneers of Science in Brazil), a compendium of biographies published by our National Council for Scientific and Technological Development freely (as free beer) avalaible on Internet.
- Uploading images.
- Improving content on research made by women, maybe topics studied by woman participating to the edit-a-thon.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- I will record participants' e-mails and user names, and a specific message will be sent some days after the event to ask for an assessment of the activity and to follow up.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The edit-a-thon was approved as a university extension activity (see here) so participants may ask for a certificate.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: > 10 (I am working really hard on augmenting this number)
- Number of new editors: > 5
- Number of articles created or improved: >10
- Number of new professors interested in the educational program: >1
- Number of new professors interested in repeating an activity like that at their departments: >2
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- As descrive above, the university will provide computer laboratory with a computer, projector, 24 places, and 20 computers for participants.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Poster design if not provided by university (yet to be approved): BRL 150,00 ($45,00)
- Poster impression: BRL 150,00 ($45,00) (31cm x 44cm - couché 120)
- Snack: BRL 500,00 ($150,00)
Promotional material from the WMF, such as stickers and buttons to be distributed among participants, would be highly helpful for spreading awareness and fostering the community to keep engaged.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Joalpe (talk) 01:34, 25 April 2018 (UTC). The proponent is a long-time Wikimedian, who has experience in devising education programs and who was involved in several outreach activities as a key member of our community. This activity is framed as a pilot for a sequence of activities, which have the potential of being an opportunity to fostering a Wikimedian culture at UFRGS, a leading public university in Brazil. Though I cannot join the event in place, count me in for online support.
- Érico (talk) 19:58, 25 April 2018 (UTC) Lechatjaune is an experienced and trustworthy sysop at Portuguese Wikipedia. His efforts to increase the engagement of the academic community and bring new editors are meritorious and admirable. It will be an honor to attend this event :)
- Cesarb89 (talk) 23:26, 25 April 2018 (UTC) O Prof. Dr. Fábio Souto de Azevedo vem divulgando o seu trabalho e fazendo propaganda positiva da Wikipédia há muito tempo, encorajando alunos a fazerem contribuições (editando e melhorando o conteúdo disponível da Wikipédia em português). O meu projeto no IFRS, que contará com um aluno bolsista, é inspirado no trabalho desenvolvido pelo professor Fábio.
- Rodrigo Padula (talk) 23:53, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- I confirm I will participate helping attendees to produce high quality content. Esequia (talk) 16:20, 26 April 2018 (UTC)