Grants:Project/Wikipedia Education Program in Bangladesh
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
What problem are you trying to solve by doing this project? This problem should be small enough that you expect it to be completely or mostly resolved by the end of this project. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
The government of Bangladesh has implemented a large number of projects relating to digital technologies to realize Vision 2021, which is commonly called Digital Bangladesh. A number of projects are already underway. A large number of Young Bangladeshi people become engaged with these digital technologies from an economic and educational perspective. Thus why this project tries to engage these potential young people to bring out their knowledge in digital form to spread out the whole country. It targets mainly the students of graduation and post-graduation level. It will use Wikipedia as a learning tool for this purpose.
What is your solution?
For the problem you identified in the previous section, briefly describe your how you would like to address this problem. We recognize that there are many ways to solve a problem. We’d like to understand why you chose this particular solution, and why you think it is worth pursuing. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
This project mainly deals with the students with their class activity, such as assignment writing, making translation some article related with their course curricular and adding bookish knowledge in Wikipedia. As they are using this as a learning tool so that they will be more interested in contributing. From the contributors definitely we may get some regular contributor or Wikipedia. The team has decided to implement the idea in 2 or more different departments of a Bangladeshi University.
What are your goals for this project? Your goals should describe the top two or three benefits that will come out of your project. These should be benefits to the Wikimedia projects or Wikimedia communities. They should not be benefits to you individually. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
The project will make partnership in the desired department as class ambassador, selected from the students. There will also be a partnership with the teachers of the department or university. This team has already a relationship with Rajshahi Wikipedia Community and Wikimedia Bangladesh. Through this program, the concentration of the policy maker of the government can be attracted. So in future support can be gotten from them to continue this project. Active and experienced wikimedians will be engaged as trainers or facilitators.
How will you know if you have met your goals?
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (e.g. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents). Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Our target is to get involved at least 100 students. The quantity can be double or more. When we will get at least 20 active wikipedians, then we can say our project is successful. At the end of this project, our target is to develop a WikiClub for every institution. So it enables a more sustainable model of engaging more active contributors to the wiki projects. By this program we want to develop at least 20 good articles for Bangla wikipedia. Besides that we will engage a good number of contributors in Wikimedia Commons, Bengali Wikivoyage and others projects.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Our target is to directly involve at least 100 students through this program. Develop around 10 active organizers. Who will lead the movement in future.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
The project is divided into 3 steps to achieve the ultimate goal. In the first step, the participant students would be introduced with Wikipedia. They will learn how to contribute and use these resources in their educational perspective. Mainly we will focus on translating articles from English Wikipedia to Bengali Wikipedia. Because many necessary articles are missing in Bengali Wikipedia. We will focus on such articles for translation which are very related to subject content, education and research, and which may help the students on their assignments and projects. Another reason for translating is that students can write in english and english Wikipedia has huge resources. So they can not only easily contribute to Bengali Wikipedia, but also the information that they will add, will be authentic and notable. First 1 month will be spent appointing and training the class ambassador, trainer and collecting other resources that we need for the project. The Trainer will learn first how to use and edit Wikipedia properly and how to train the participant. We will arrange a workshop which will be run by the specialists Bangladeshi Wikimedians to train the trainer and ambassador. During this period the official deal with the department will be done to execute the main project. Next month, we will arrange several workshops for the participants to learn about internet browsing, using Wikipedia and ultimately the process to edit and write articles. This is the process to make a participant into a qualified wikipedian. When the participant will learn properly about using and editing Wikipedia, we will run the class activity as assignment writing in Wikipedia or translating article with the help of academics. 1 or 2 clubs (like tourist club, photography club) will be engaged from the universities. So the students who do not belong to the proposed departments, they can be involved in this project. Editathon and Photowalk will be arranged for them. Mainly Bengali Wikivoyage and Wikimedia Commons will be focused on this part. By this process, we will get some student wikipedians in those universities, then we will establish WikiClub there to keep them active in the movement. It enables a longtime and sustainable process to engage more people to wikipedia and keep them active through the years.
Beside these we will run an awareness program throughout the country. We will visit different types of educational Institutes of the country so that we can engage more students in this program. This program may also help to build a strong base for the future.
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
|SL No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (BDT)||Total (BDT)||Notes|
|Subtotal in local currecny: BDT 5,29,000|
Subtotal in USD: 6,231 (BDT 1 = USD 0.012)
|01||Train the Trainer Program||1||80,000||80,000||Venue, Logistics, Transportation, Food and Others|
|02||Train the Participant||4||10,000||40,000||Venue, Logistics, Food and Other|
|03||Wifi Router and Modem||2||5,000||10,000||For training purpose|
|04||Internet Bill||12||2,000||24,000||For 12 months|
|05||Press conference||2||15,000||30,000||Pre & post press conference (Venue rent & other costing)|
|06||Monthly Meeting||12||10,000||1,20,000||Monthly meet up or meeting for volunteers (food and other costs)|
|07||Wikipedia T-shirt||100||350||35,000||Gift for good performer and volunteers|
|08||Wikipedia pen||120||50||6,000||For participants|
|09||Wikipedia writing pad||120||125||15,000||For participants|
|11||Banner||1||4,000||Banner for workshop/seminar or other purpose|
|12||Memento||1||20,000||Banner for workshop/seminar or other purpose|
|13||Print & stationary||1||5,000||Printing of manuals and others|
|14||Photowalk||2||10,000||20,000||Promotion, transport and snacks|
|15||Closing Ceremony||1||50,000||Venue, Logistics, transportation, food and others|
|16||Awareness building program||1||1,50,000||Logistics, Food, Venue Rent, Transportation and Others|
Community input and participation helps make projects successful. How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve during your project?
Wikimedia Bangladesh has some regional committees. So with the help of the chapter we can make a collaboration among the committees and can take useful resources from them as well.
We are targeting a specific audience because it is easy to nurture a small group of people and to confirm a better output.
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
- Masum al Hasan (Project Director) – User:RockyMasum
He would be in charge of leading the project and also ensuring sustainability of the project. He is an experienced Wikimedian who has volunteered in many wikipedia projects.
- Shabab Mustafa (Strategy Supervisor) – User:Tarunno
He would be in charge of running and maintaining various tech related activities for the project thus handling of webpages, internet accessibility and other technical development.
- Ankan Ghosh Dastider (Chief Instructor) – User: ANKAN
He is active in both onwiki and offwiki. He will be the main instructor of this project.
- Dolon Prova (Instructor and Gender Analyst)- User:Dolon Prova
She is the most active female contributor of Bangla wikipedia. She will work as an instructor and her main focus will be on the female participants.
- Mostafizur Rahman (Instructor and Logistics Coordinator) – User:mmrsafy
He would be in charge of ensuring that resources are available to the team.
- Sumyia Akter Mira (Gender Analyst)- User:Sumyia Akter Mira
Her special focus will be to ensure gender equality. She has good experience in program organizing.
- Goutam Roy (Academic Advisor) – User:Goutam
He is a wikipedian and assistant professor of Institute of Education and Research, Rajshahi University. He will advise on building up academic partnerships with different academic stakeholders.
- Nasir Uddin (Academic Advisor)
He is a lecturer of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Science and Technology University. He will advise and assist on building up academic partnerships with different academic stakeholders.
- Volunteer I am an M.Sc. student at Jahangirnagar University in the Department of Computer Science. I want to be a trainer in this project.
- Volunteer I'd like to part of this project. Thanks and Regards, ZI Jony (Talk) 19:07, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc. Need notification tips?
- Discussion list for Bangladeshi Wikimedians
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- I think this is a great initiative to involve the young generation of Bangladesh in Wikipedia and Wikimedia. Sromei (talk) 05:19, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support Wikimedia Bangladesh has been among the more organized of smaller Wikimedia chapters. I see that this is not directly a Wikimedia Bangladesh project, but that the organizing team is collaborating with Wikimedia Bangladesh, and that chapter's members are approving this project. I have watched the activities of that chapter and its participants for some years and talk with a few members of Wikimedia Bangladesh with some regularity. This proposal is for conventional wiki community outreach in a conventional way to classes. Class outreach is a proven model for good engagement and good satisfaction for participants. I recommend the use of the Programs and Events Dashboard to track and report activities. This kind of outreach is a foundation for all kinds of activities, so the sooner these kinds of programs get developed, the more easily people can plan other kinds of programs. I recommend increasing the budget to somehow fund program administration and adding money to the overall funding amount, as volunteers are eager to do wiki activities but hesitate to do administrative activities like collecting metrics, doing journalism of the project, documenting and publishing lessons learned, and producing localized training materials when partners request them. It can be challenging to add paid staff for administration to a project, and I would not want to increase the burden of running this project by adding extra funding and extra responsibility. However, if there is interest, and if the duty can be small, and if someone is willing to take financial incentive or turn extra money into Wikipedia documentation and reporting, then I wish this project could have extra money for this purpose. If this project is funded, then I wish that the WMF grant administrator could talk with the organizers about reporting expectations and consider giving extra money to support administrative costs beyond the volunteer wiki community outreach. Blue Rasberry (talk) 17:32, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Support Regards, ZI Jony (Talk) 19:11, 25 February 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support best wishes for successful project Nawaraj Ghimire (talk) 16:53, 3 March 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support To increase the engagement of more active contributors to the wiki projects, I hope,this program will be useful. By this program wikimedians of Bangladesh can develop their organizing abilities and contributions for Bangla Wikipedia. --- Anup Sadi (talk) 17:55, 3 March 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support - Janak Bhatta (talk) 02:01, 10 March 2020 (UTC)