This had been a submission to the Wikimedia Participation Support process, but was withdrawn or otherwise cancelled (not denied).
- User name
- User location (country)
- Event name
- OSCON (Open Source Convention)
- Event Web site
- Event date(s)
- 20 - 24 July
- Event location (city)
- Amount requested (remember to specify currency!)
- USD 1650 (Request for advance disbursement - But after getting visa)
- Harsh is an active contributor to Mediawiki. He has also been in the team that materialized the creation of the tool http://wikiwomen.in/. He has promoted Wikimedia projects in several conferences and workshops. Participating in OSCON will help him to expand his network and attract new users to Wikimedia community. I am endorsing his grant request.--Netha Hussain (talk) 10:03, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
- Getting a talk accepted in OSCON is an achievement on its own. Let's make sure Harsh can deliver it.--Qgil (talk) 11:26, 9 July 2014 (UTC)
- Hope Harsh can make it. I'm endorsing it.--Jeph paul (talk) 06:10, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- Travel(Trip economy class fare India - Portland - San Francisco - India ): USD 2250
- Accommodation: USD 70 per night x 2 nights = USD 140
- Visa: USD 160
- Local Expense : USD 100 (20 per day) (if any amount remains unused I wholeheartedly will return it )
- Total : 2250 + 140 + 160 + 100 = USD 2650
(Now OSCON will provide me USD 1000 + 3 night stay)
- Final - Total : USD 2650 - USD 1000 = USD 1650
This is Harsh Kothari, from Gujarati Wikipedia Community. I am right now working on a project called |Mediawiki Extension : ActivityMonitor. It is a tool to monitor recent changes in real time I have been a Google Summer of Code intern in Wikimedia Foundation in summer, 2013. Moreover, I am mentoring at Google Code In for Wikimedia Foundation. I have been contributing in Wikipedia and Mediawiki for last 2 and half years, and as a volunteer. I have also been involve with different outreach programs across Gujarat.
- PyCon SG 2014
- FOSDEM 2014
- Open Source Language Summit, Pune
- Google Dev-Fest, Rajkot
- Open Source Bridge, Portland, Oregon
- Mediawiki Gadget Kitchen workshop at GNUnify.
- Mediawiki Gadget Kitchen workshop at avenir .
- 1st ever wikipedia workshop of Gujarat at L.D. College of Engineering.
- wikipedia workshop at lets nurture, Ahmedabad.
- Presented gujarati wikipedia at Gujarati Sahitya Parishad.
- Presented gujarati wikipedia at Ahmedabad National Bookfair.
- Conducted outreach session for wikipedia at Rajkot and various places across gujarat.
I have one talk that accepted in OSCON : : How to Become Media | Wiki | Pedia Hacker
Contribution to Wikimedia Foundation Mission:
I have one talk that accepted in OSCON in which I will introduce different ways to contribute in Wikimedia and MediaWiki. How one can actually do kick start to become Wikimedia / MediaWiki contributor. I will introduce APIs, Gadgets, Extensions, Bots, Testing, Translation, Design, Mobile related stuff in those 40 minutes talk. OSCON is one of the huge and massive conference in the world of Open Source and lots of smart developer will come over there. So it would be great opportunity to present over there and great opportunity that to find new contributor for MediaWiki / Wikimedia. So these thing will definitely lead to increase reach and technical participation in MediaWiki as well as Wikimedia Foundation.
Goal and Expected Impact
As I mention earlier OSCON is worlds biggest and massive conference in the world of open source. In this conference worlds best developers will come. Its kind of great opportunity to present about MediaWiki in front of genius programmers of the world. In that, my goal is to present various ways of contributing to MediaWiki. This way awesome developers from the world can find a path to contribute into MediaWikia and this will lead to more contributor around the globe.
I will be touch with the participants of the session and workshop via IRC, Mailing List. As I am very near to San Francisco I want to visit Wikimedia Foundation office. Its more then 70 - 80 USD to normal Round trip (India - Portland). Its again great opportunity to present about MediaWiki technologies at OSCON and visit Wikimedia Foundation office.