Did not hear get any clarity so far and the event is currently being happening. So any further discussion on this would not help. I would like to withdraw this application.
This had been a submission to the Wikimedia Participation Support process, but was withdrawn or otherwise cancelled (not denied).
I have been an active Indic language Wikimedian since last six years. I have also been advocating for, and have been successful in getting content donated under Creative Commons licenses which have benefited Wikipedia, Wikisource and other Wikimedia projects. I have been invited to this roundtable to represent the Wikimedia community in South Asia and address key aspects of the Indic languages in the current times. I am keen on both sharing about the intervention by community leaders of my own community that have succeeded in creating a sustainable community just by using cheaper and low bandwidth internet connectivity in mobile devices, and learning about plans of using existing low-cost technology in imparting digital education. This will, in turn, help me share the learning with the rest of the Indic community. A large segment of South Asia does not have access to the Internet where low cost mobile operators are making the Internet more accessible and affordable to common people. I would be really focused on connecting with leaders from all walks of life that would be participating in this event so that we can utilize the vast reach of telcos to grow the Wikimedia community in South Asia.
Goal and expected impact
Growing the scope of using Wikimedia projects as tools by a larger audience will be my biggest contribution by participating in this event. The event being organized in the national capital of India also will bring many policy makers, telcos, non-profits which will lead into potential collaboration for the benefit of our projects and communities. Many startups and mobile companies (both national and global) are integrating Indic language interface and content into their apps. That is another area where Wikimedia projects can play a vital role as large content repositories, corpora, dictionaries, datasets, and many other tools. I would be keen on connecting with such like minded people and organizations for pro bono collaborations.
Below are the four questions I would like to engage the participants with -- the output of the same will help research more about the Internet users that primarily use Indian-languages in smartphones and on web:
- How organizations are planning to educate the next generation of mobile users [about the open, collaborative and multilingual Internet] that are otherwise being bullied by an outdated educational system in our academia?
- How much for-profit organizations are opening up their content/libraries/data under free licenses esp. when they are using a lot of openly-licensed work?
- How we are planning to expand our user base with more diversity and inclusion?
- How much statistics we have about the current scenario to gauge the future needs. What are the immediate future needs for the mobile users?
- Travel (round trip airfare from Bengaluru to Delhi, and local travel): USD 176
- Accommodation and food: USD 44
- Subhashish has been doing great work in promoting the free knowledge movement in India. I strongly endorse this grant proposal. Satdeep Gill (talk) 06:58, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support I strongly endorse. Jim Carter (talk) 07:09, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support Great work done by a great user. I endorse this grant proposal. /Haxpett (talk) 09:06, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support Subhashish has been very active in following indic language related tech development (example). --09:47, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support A modest outlay for a good potential return. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 10:11, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support Subhasish's participation in this event will help in marking the position of Wikipedia in this conference. --Sailesh Patnaik (Talk|Contribs) 11:25, 11 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support User:Psubhashish is a good candidate to attend the event. A request I put on every TPS I support, please share your experience and knowledge with community members in form of report, blog posts etc. Regards and all the best. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 10:01, 13 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support User:Psubhashish is a hard worker and should bring good results. --Takot (talk) 13:35, 15 January 2017 (UTC)