This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I am one of the key Kiwix people and I have been invited by Wikimedia Colombia to present Offline Wikipedia at the CIINATIC conference in Bucamaranga. User:Racso (who's invited me) already presented there last year (see his poster on Commons).
Besides the talk, I will also bring USB sticks with Wikimedia content on it and give a workshop on offline Wikipedia use and dissemination to
- Teachers from local schools who lack decent internet access;
- Leaders of community groups from neighbourhoods where people may not have a decent internet access because of costs or lack of infrastructure;
- Leaders or members of institutions where people seek culture or knowledge (cultural houses, museums, libraries, etc.), specially if they lack internet access or if are used by people who lack internet access.
We'll teach them to use Kiwix to access Wikipedia, Wikisource and the Wiktionary. Hopefully, we'll also be ready to share with them the first version of Spanish Wikimed (offline medical content for Android phones).
Audience for the conference is upwards of 100 people while the workshop should involve 15-20 attendees.
Goal and expected impact
There are three separate goals:
- WMCH recently joined Iberocoop - this will be our first inter-chapter collaboration ;
- Kiwix evangelism: we're always looking for coders: talking at a technical university is a good way to recruit new volunteers (we're also in need of Spanish speakers). We're looking forward to adding 1-3 volunteers to our pool.
- Wikipedia use: based on our experience, each Kiwix install (=1 computer) in an institution reaches 20 people on average. Depending on how many schools and library representatives we get (schools are more in the 250 range), we're looking at 400 to 5'000 new readers for Wikimedia projects (we intend to follow up and monitor later deployments to see the actual reach). A recent survey conducted by a volunteer in a Northern Ghana school showed that Kiwix helped Wikipedia grow from a 7.5% use (32.5% awareness) level to 43% regular use.
- Transportation (local flight, bus, cab to/from airport) : USD 200
- Accommodation: USD 50 per night x 3 nights = USD 150
- Meals & Incidental expenses : USD 45x3 = 135
Note: flight to/from Switzerland to Colombia (ca. 850 USD) will be supported by WMCH's Kiwix budget.
No other instructions or requests.
- We at the Wikimedians of Colombia User Group endorse this grant request. Please see the Discussion page for extra details. --Racso ¿¿¿??? 22:54, 10 August 2016 (UTC)
- To few people know about Kiwix, in particular in latin America. Advertisement and partnerships should be done to increase outreach for not connected people. Kelson (talk) 06:02, 17 August 2016 (UTC)