Grants:PEG/WM MX/Iberoconf 2013
- Official project name
Iberoconf 2013. Third Ibero-American Wikimedia Summit.
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
May 15th, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
June 24th, 2013 October 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
MXN$12.0789 per USD (quoted from oanda.com on 6 May 2013)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Organization, Wikimedia México A.C.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Primary contact name
- Iván Martínez / Salvador Alcántar
- Primary contact username or email
- ivanwikimedia.mx, salvador.alcantarwikimedia.mx
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
- President / Secretary
Goals and measures of success
- Project goal
Since its creation in 2010 the Regional Cooperation Initiative for Ibero-America (Iberocoop) has provided to Latin-American and some European chapters a fertile field to exchange experiences, ideas and mutually aid each others, becoming an original model of non-bureaucratic cooperation between Wikimedia chapters and working groups. Within this background, the annual conference of Ibero-American chapters, Iberoconf is a catalyst for decisions and agreements between constituted chapters, as well as an extraordinary occasion for aiding and sharing experiences with pre-chapters or user groups in the organizing. Since first Iberoconf, three new Ibero-American chapters were born, by far due this assistance and cooperation.
In last Iberoconf in Santiago 2012, the attending chapters made relevant agreements that influenced and brought about much of last year's developed work. As example of this:
- Simultaneous participation, cooperation and interchange of technical tools between chapters and chapters-to-be for an easier development of Wiki Loves Monuments 2012. In this international contest took part Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Panamá and Spain.
- Common agreements and positions before WCA constitution and difficulties, which were expressed afterwards in the Washington Manifesto.
- Decisions about internal communications and transparency in Iberocoop.
- Assistance of representatives of the Wikimedia Foundation, what makes possible a better integration of Ibero-American chapters to the international Wikimedia Community. In case of Matthew Roth, face to face interviews produced a bigger presence of Ibero-American chapters in Wikimedia blog and other media.
All the progress of goals and objectives between 2012 and 2013 meetings can be found here (in english and spanish).
Iberoconf 2013 will be a meeting of delegates from Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Italy, México, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay and Venezuela. The summit includes not only representatives of the active Wikimedia chapters in the region, but also four chapters to be interested in the realization of Wikimedia-related activities in their countries. Members of the Board of the Wikimedia Foundation, Board of Trustees and other international guests may take part on the event.
With the results we had in the two previous summits, we think we can increase our goals and make they measurables. The Wikimedia movement’s organization in Ibero-America has seen great improvement in the last year after the last summit because it helped to enhance communication among its members, to define better ways of collaboration between existing entities and to continue local development of the different groups.
A priority goal at the meeting will be the talking about the future of Iberocoop and the ideas our cooperation model embodies, to ensure its continuity and utility within the Wikimedia movement, as an entity that is recognized in the community for its cohesion, flexibility and uniqueness in reaching our common objectives. Since the meeting in Santiago, some Iberocoop members have spoken about the future as an organization that can provide more opportunities and best practices to its members.
Other goal will be the work on the set of new models of managing through the recognized chapters by the most veterans organizations as Wikimedia Argentina.
The scope of this meeting -conducted by a professional facilitator who donate their work-, seek substantial work on two main tracks: a organizational development of Iberocoop chapters, and the approach of an educational program adjusted to the cultural needs of Chapter members. For this edition, all the chapters involved in the meeting will close the talks in Meta previously made a month earlier. The tracks considered for the meeting can be found here.
The proposed schedule of the event can be seen here (in Spanish).
Measures of success
- The outcomes of this summit will be published on Meta in the working languages of the group and also in English. At least, we expect the following results:
- Work on the evaluation of advantages and disadvantages of becoming a Wikimedia organization in the future, considering the need to grow regionally. This track will be reflected in a reasoned whitepaper, at the end of the conference, that allows the development of a strategic plan for the following years for Iberocoop.
- Establishment of a better common criteria in front of different challenges, policies and new models of organization within the Wikimedia movement: rules of affiliation, Charter of sorts, fostering of potential new members in the next 6 months.
- Coordination of a strategy between chapters and working groups for pan-regional initiatives that can be developed.
- Reporting schedule for Iberocoop Chapters about implementation of shared best practices: Participating chapters will commit to reporting on a regular basis about what the conference and ensuing relationships have brought to their daily work in the next 12 months.
- Work on a common education program, adjusted to the Iberocoop chapters and working groups: Outline of a "How to Manual" in Education programs in the next 12 months.
Project scope and activities
This grant is intended to cover the participation of two delegates from the chapters and one of the chapters-to-be involved in Iberocoop, including their travel to Mexico City, accommodation for four nights (Wednesday 19 June to Saturday 22 June) and full catering costs for the conference.
Wikimedia Mexico has valued with local travel agencies the airplane tickets and has looked for hostels where to accommodate the delegates. Once the grant is approved, Wikimedia Mexico will coordinate the travel of the delegates and their stay in Mexico City, and will hire the catering services for the days of the conference.
The local chapter will organize a local team of volunteers to help with the development of the summit and the documentation of its associated talks and activities.
Budget and resources
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Flights||Round trip to Mexico City||1 round flight||18 round flights to Mexico City||*||13788||USD||See Flights section for detail|
|2||Accomodation||Shared dorms at hostel||Cost per night||25 persons||31.20||3120||USD||4 nights are considered|
|3||Catering||Coffee break service (coffee, tea, water, soda and cookies)||Cost per person||30 persons||6||180||USD||3 days are considered|
|4||Catering||Daily Lunch||Cost per person||30 persons||15||450||USD||3 days are considered|
|5||Stationery||Flipchart, markers and sheets||31,64||USD||Including one box of board markers.|
|7||Stationery||ID Badges||Pack with 10||3 packs||5,78||17.3||USD|
|8||Stationery||Prints||87||USD||Considered for general purposes: kit for every participant, badges, registry.|
- Welcome meeting - 5000 MXN - 390 USD
- Stationery and documents for participants 2000 MXN - 160 USD
- Incidental expenses 5000 MXN - 413 USD
Amount of the grant asked to the WMF:
Amounts in USD
- Total cost of project
- 20,713 USD
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- 20,713 USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Participation of Wikimedia Foundation staff and volunteers from Board of Trustees and Affiliations Committee.
- Support promoting the event of WMF official channels as blog and official press release.
- We will have a dedicated group who will help to coordinate the event.
- Board members of Wikimedia México.
- Iván Martínez - President
- Salvador Alcántar - Secretary
- Gustavo Sandoval Kingwergs - Vicepresident
- Carmen Alcázar - Vocal and project manager for Iberoconf 2013
- Alan Lazalde - Vocal
- Volunteers of Wikimedia México.
- Gilberto Cruz
- Rodolfo Galicia
- Nohemí Chilpa
- Anahí Ubaldo
- Verónica Longino
- Christian Cerón
- Carlos Solís
- Jacobo Nájera
- Other members of Iberocoop affiliated entities.
- Assistance from previous Iberoconf hosts: WMAR and WMCL
- Plus, we will have a donated proffesional aid:
- Cirklo (facilitators)
- Alfonso Castañeda (project managing talk)
- The venues of the event and all the technical resources will be sponsored.
Fit to strategy
- Our proposal fits to several of the guidelines proposed by the Strategic Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation, namely:
- Increasing reach: working on initiatives for get more impact in sectors who can produce high quality knowledge resources of Wikimedia projects at local level, as schools and universities, and in more native languages.
- Participation: new groups will be empowered to develop new activities, increasing the number of volunteers and broadening the movement to new audiences in the so-called Global South.
- Credibility: having a common regional framework adds to Wikimedia's presence in Ibero-America in the way of a concerted body, enabling us to develop partnerships and projects on the regional level
- Organizational maturity and effectiveness: talking the next steps of Iberocoop as a Wikimedia organization and mapping the needs for the next stage. Sharing experiences between organizations with different levels of organizations will help especially to the youngest groups to strengthen their organizations through better policies, processes and work organization.
- Financial sustainability: sources of funding will be explored and talked about, considering the specific characteristics of the different countries involved: (a) in doing so we will find a way to be a part of the annual campaign donation, as input to the WMF, (b) plausability of fundraising campaigns, (c) collaborating with other institutions who could fund projects on a regional level.
- Face to face meetings increase the possibility of finding a common ground to solve issues. Besides, they help to build trust between colleagues, particularly those who are new to the initiative, and encourages interaction between old and new members.
- Wikimedia Mexico goes through a crucial stage in its organizational development and Iberoconf will be a very relevant milestone in all aspects considered. Its successful accomplishment will positively impact our maturity as an organization and will connect guests to the event with the local Wikimedia and free culture community, as well as representatives from major corporations and institutions with large regional development. Also, we believe this could be a good opportunity to engage more local volunteers and allies.
- This budget was consulted in February 2013, and rounded with an extra 20% to consider possible variations in the travel prices.