Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Slovakia/Wikipedia workshop within KAEST
This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. E@I administered the grant on behalf of Wikimedia Slovakia.
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia Slovakia (WMSK)
- Grant contact name
- Michal Matúšov
- Grant contact username or email
- User:KuboF (e-mail)
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Michal Matúšov
- Project lead username or email
- User:KuboF (e-mail)
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Wikipedia workshop within KAEST 2012
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (US$ will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- €600 ≈ US$735
- Provisional target start date
- 1 October 2012
- Provisional completion date
- 1 April 2013
The Project's budget is prepared for 15 participants (as of August 2012), but there will likely be more participants.
- lodging: €180 (i.e. €12 per participant for the night)
- program fee: €75 (i.e. €5 per participant)
- Usual program fee for KAEST participants ranges between €10 and €30, out of which approximately €5 is for the Wikipedia workshop.
- travel subsidy: €250 (partial coverage of costs, proportional to distance)
- lease of conference rooms with equipment: €95
Improving the capabilites of existing Wikipedia contributors. Recruting new Wikipedia contributors. Bringing more trust and willingness to help among the contributors by making them to get to know each other.
Project scope and list of activities
Practical-oriented workshop for participants of KAEST (en:Conference on the Application of Esperanto in Science and Technology) and local Wikipedia activists and members of public that show interest. The workshop will consist of 2 days and participants will be divided into 2 groups according to their Wikipedia/language skills.
Note 1: Both parts will be open to participation by local Wikipedia activists/general public for free, even without participating in KAEST.
Note 2: A similar, but shorter, Wikipedia workshop was organized during the previous KAEST in 2010 (for more info about the past seminar, see talk page).
- KAEST is a conference on science and technology organized since 1978 in former Czechoslovakia, later Czech Republic and Slovakia. In 2012, it will be organized in Modra, Slovakia (not far from its capital of Bratislava) from the 15th to the 18th November by the non-profit organization Education@Internet (E@I). Its Wikipedia workshop part is co-organized by Wikimedia Slovakia.
Fit to strategy
The primary target group of this workshop (participants of KAEST) are educated, speakers of at least two languages, interested in science and technology. Wikipedia will gain quality content by increasing the participants' interest and improving their capabilites to contribute to Wikipedia. The Esperanto, Slovak and Czech language versions are projected to benefit the most, due to the demographics of the expected participants.
- media coverage: KAEST is a science and technology conference - a Wikipedia workshop in these circumstances will improve public perception of the Wikipedia brand and its trustworthiness in Slovakia and encourage the general public to regard the project more seriously.
- printed book: Education content used during the workshop will published as a book. The book will be sent to every participant and will be available for download in digital form.
Measures of success
- activity of editors – increase of activity and quality of participating Wikipedia editors
- generating interest in media and educational institutions
- we will need interest and trust of educational institutions for our planed Ambassador school program – so results will be noticeable only some months after the end of this project
- increase of interest in WMSK and widening of its member base