Grants talk:IEG/Pronunciation Recording (Finish incomplete GSoC project)/Midpoint
Feedback on your report
Hi Rillke and team, thanks for this midpoint report and congratulations on completing your first half of the project. Here are some thoughts from this end:
- It seems like you've made significant progress, even if slower than expected, and so I wanted to appreciate the team for the work you've put into this so far!
- It is useful to have the links you've included for Rillke's work on this project. Is the counter of uploads that Infovarius built, or Ungoliant MMDCCLXIV's list of templates similarly available somewhere? If so, having a link to these could be helpful to others in the future.
- You mention underspending funds so far because you haven't worked as many hours per week as expected. Can you say a bit more about the reasons for this, or how circumstances will change to be able to devote more time during this next phase of the project? Does the team still have all the people it needs in order to complete this project?
- It looks like the last 2 sections of your report are still empty - do you plan to add a learning pattern, or some indication of what you feel is has been successful with this grant so far? I expect you've learned something that is working well with your project - happy to brainstorm with you if that would help you complete this, so we can accept this midpoint report once and for all :)
- I understand that moving from jQuery UI to OOjs UI was unexpected, and is likely one significant source of delay for your work (and no doubt that having to submit patches to improve it is also time-consuming!). Given that you've mentioned being behind schedule, I wonder if the team is considering asking for an extension to complete this project. It seems like there is much from your timeline still to be done post-development in order to involve the community in using this new tool. Would an extension of 1 or 2 months allow more chance of successful completion? If so, I'd encourage you to visit your timeline page and use the button provided to request one - I'm more than willing to approve it.
- If you'd like to check-in about any of this in an IRC chat sometime soon, please let me know - I'm available to support the team where you feel you need it.
- I'm very interested in this particular project. Could I trouble you to paste a little summary of whatever followup was made, as it seems to have been made off-wiki? Asaf (WMF) (talk) 07:48, 8 November 2014 (UTC)
- I plan to do so this weekend. Sorry for the delays. I met the creator of SWAC recorder in Paris and we were talking about metadata to ensure the recorded samples are realistically useful and I began implementing a RIFF metadata writer in JS. ID3v2 tags are still to be done. -- Rillke (talk) 17:03, 10 November 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry for the delay again. I will plan the schedule on GitHub now. What are you especially interested in? So I could flesh it a little more out... -- Rillke (talk) 18:36, 5 December 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks, Rillke! I'm especially interested in using the tool, and promoting it to others! :) I think it could be an accessible and fun way for beginners to contribute in a low-friction way. So I'm interested in understanding the prospects for ending up with a working tool that can actually be integrated with the wikis, and in any obstacles standing in the way of that (just in case I might be able to help). Cheers! Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 21:32, 5 December 2014 (UTC)
Hi Rillke and team,
Thanks for adding in the learning pattern. I've approved your request for more time to complete this project, and am marking this report accepted today. I understand so far the team hasn't been able to devote as much time as expected and as a result you're underspent, so it seems that your budget isn't an issue at this point. But if it becomes an issue, or you find other blockers (need more team members or better ways to coordinate with team members?), please don't hesitate to reach out. I would still love to see one of you address the questions posted in the section above on this page for the benefit of everyone following along, even though I understand right now your #1 priority is likely code, not reporting ;) Looking forward to seeing more in 2015 as this project moves towards completion. Please let us know how we can help at any point.
- +1. Rillke, could you offer a brief status update? I'm still excited about the potential of this tool. Ijon (talk) 03:06, 2 July 2015 (UTC)
Now I have an opportunity to set this task to some hackers. As far as I dont know the state of your project and wheather the sw exists, I will probably do it.--Juandev (talk) 07:43, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
- So, did you do it, Juandev? If so, can you point to the code or a demo?
- (and Rillke, please do drop us a line saying how things are going.) Ijon (talk) 12:59, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- What?--Juandev (talk) 21:24, 24 February 2016 (UTC)
- Unfortunately there's not so many to say, yet. But we are alive and online and want to get this gadget to work. Unfortunately without Gadgets 2.0. Details will hopefully follow in the reports. -- Rillke (talk) 02:02, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
- Good news Rillke that you are here. I was afraid you die out from wiki.--Juandev (talk) 20:36, 8 March 2016 (UTC)