Grants talk:Project/Rapid/Raju Suthar/Laptop
Merging Comments into grant report
Note to Reviewers of this grant
राजु सुथार (Raju Suthar) had approached Wikimedia India to help him apply for the grant. I, on behalf of Raju Suthar have written the grant. All the points mentioned in this grant have been written with approval from him.
Feedback on your request
Dear राजु सुथार,
Thank you for this request. I apologize for our slow response. This request is tricky for us to make a decision about, so I'm writing to fill you in our thinking.
Typically, we do not grant equipment requests to individual volunteers. Instead, we prefer to grant equipment to Wikimedia affiliates, like Wikimedia India, so they can manage sharing programs that allow multiple volunteers to benefit. The idea is that equipment is always intended for collective, not individual volunteer use. The reason is that we couldn't sustain individual equipment grants at scale. However, in this case, my understanding is that Wikimedia India has been informed that the Wikimedia Foundation is not currently able to transfer funds to them, including assets like equipment. At this time, Wikimedia India is not in a position to manage this equipment.
Because you are an active volunteer in good standing for Hindi Wikipedia, we would really like to be able to support your efforts by helping you get access to a laptop. However, at this time there is not an affiliate who can manage an equipment-sharing program. So, I'm writing to ask you to describe your involvement in offline volunteer events during which you might be able to share this laptop with other volunteers. Are you a coordinator or regular participant in such events? Please provide any other information or ideas you have about how you might be able to share the laptop for the benefit of other volunteers.
If we made a grant to you for the laptop, it would be with the intention that you could manage it for a dedicated single-use purpose of supporting volunteer efforts to contribute to Wikimedia projects (this would include your own volunteer efforts). If an affiliate at some point is able to take over management of the laptop for an equipment-sharing program, we would ask you to transfer the laptop to that affiliate to serve as the primary contact for coordination among volunteers.
Thanks in advance for your response!
- Thank you, Marti Johnson for your kind response. To highlight my proposed use of laptop, you may kindly note:
- I contribute significant number of edits on Hindi Wikipedia everyday.
- I write articles on Hindi and other Indian language Wikipedia in the newspapers.
- I actively enlist new editors and educate them on editing techniques.
- More recently I’ve become part of organizing Hindi Wiki Sammelan and other outreach programmes along with many other Wikipedians such as Muzammil and Suyash and a good example of this is my recent proposal which is widely endorsed by my the community. You can approach Punjabi user group as an affiliate to give infrastructure support. Hope I have answered your queries. I will be happy to answer any other question, if needed. Thanks again, --राजु सुथार (talk) 16:51, 26 October 2016 (UTC)
Dear राजु सुथार,
We are approving your request in full for equipment to support your own and others' volunteer contributions to Wikipedia. We have gotten excellent feedback about your sustained volunteer record, both as an individual editor and as an active member of your volunteer community. We are happy to be able to provide you with the tools you need to be more effective in your work. Since there is not presently a feasible way for an affiliate group to house the equipment, you will house it individually, with the understanding that you will use it in support of the Wikimedia projects and their volunteer communities.
Our grants administrator will be in touch with you about your grant.