Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
- To create a high number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia
- To improve content on Hindi Wikipedia
- To lend a helping hand to new hindi wp editors & help groom them to increase the editor base
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment? Hindi as a language ranks Fourth in the largest number of Native speakers in the world. Inspite of such a huge speaking base, Hindi Wikipedia has one of the the 'lowest Population to Wikipedia articles ratio' out of all the other languages. With this equipment, the main focus will be to improve content Hindi Wikipedia. Another focus here, will be to give support to new and upcoming editors.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
At Present, all activities done by me are on my mobile phone. With the help of the laptop, I will be able to use many tools which I couldn't use earlier on my mobile like AutoWikiBrowser etc. Inspite of the drawbacks, I am currently participating in a few wikiprojects (e.g. cricket, olympics editathon etc) With this laptop, this can change & I can plan projects oriented towards Hindi Wikipedia which can maybe accelerate the growth . This laptop will be very handy in providing training in workshops, which the Hindi community is planning for future.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community? The equipment will be cared by me & Wikimedia India will be the incharge for tracking & ensuring that the laptop will be shared when needed by the Hindi Community. On the village pump proposal (link shared below), I have mentioned that the equipment will be treated by me as a community asset
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom? This equipment will used by me & will be under my custody. On the village pump proposal (link shared below),it has been decided that the equipment will passed to another member as per discretion of the Hindi Wikipedia Community or when I can afford a laptop on my own.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? I have been an editor on Wikipedia for the last 20 months & have created close to 900+ unique articles.With 8,000+ edits to my credit, I have been doing most of these edits on my mobile phone. With this project, my contribution to Hindi Wikipedia will jump exponentially.
I have already got consensus from the Community for running this project - Community Consensus on Village Pump
My work on Hindi Wikipedia has been well covered in various media agencies -
Carpenter crafts cyber content using ancient mobile Business Standard. Free Press Journal. The Jodhpur Gazette. NewsKerala.com. ProKerala.com. SocialNews.xyz. The Statesman. DaijiWorld.com WindowToNews.com. Business Standard. Eastern Mirror, Nagaland. Aug 10, 2016.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- To Create 50 articles/Month
- Help handhold & tutor 5 budding Hindi WIkipedians in the next one year
- Improve the current templates on Hindi Wikimpedia & create an editor recognition program with Wikimedia India
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). The laptop will be in my possession throughout & will be ordered by me with the help of Wikimedia India What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.(RUB/USD 64,62)
- Lenovo Laptop(5th Generation Intel Core i3- 4GB RAM- 1TB HDD- 39.62 cm (15.6')- DOS- 2GB Graphics : 30,000 INR USD 451.81
- Internet WiFi Hotspot(Hardware): 2,000 INR USD 30.12
- Laptop Bag : 2,000 INR USD 15.06
- Shipping: Free
Total: 33,000 INR USD 496.99
Wikimedia India will be paying for the monthly Internet charges which will span for the entirety of the project ie 1 year
- Monthly Internet Charges : 1,500 INR USD 22.42
members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Community Consensus on Village Pump --Anamdas (talk) 08:57, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
- This member is a great asset to Hindi Wikipedia. He has created and edited most of the articles with a mobile only. Larger articles and pages with specific tables are too tough to edit with mobile. He comes from a very humble background but doesn't make him shy away from this movement. A laptop will boost his efforts immensley. I endorse this genuine cause wholeheartedly. अजीत कुमार तिवारी (talk) 12:43, 10 September 2016 (UTC)
- Apart from the above comment, this user also contributes to the press and has written about Hindi and Bengali Wikipedia in the print media. Hence I wholeheartedly endorse this proposal.--Muzammil (talk) 07:34, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support - I've already supported the proposal on local wikipedia also. I would recommend a laptop with Windows operating system, and that may cost approx $50 extra, as he has yet to learn to operate tools like awb etc. I wish Raju all the best. --Anamdas (talk) 08:55, 11 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support - Good works done by him. This will help him to boost hi.wiki work. NehalDaveND (talk) 06:10, 12 September 2016 (UTC)
- I would like this request to be funded. I am yet not sure if individual equipment requests can be funded via WMF Grants as of now. Satdeep Gill (talk) 15:50, 13 September 2016 (UTC)
- I support this user, so we can get more contributions from him.☆★Sanjeev Kumar (talk) 16:09, 13 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support Raju Suthar is young Wikimedian who comes from a village in Rajasthan. This support will definitely help Raju in boosting his Hindi Wikipedia work. I'm sure he will deliver more than he promises. Sankoswal (talk) 12:38, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support-- तेजू जांगिड़ (talk) 10:58, 17 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support--Atudu (talk) 04:04, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support -- Jim Carter (talk) 20:09, 28 September 2016 (UTC)
- Support -- I have confidence in Raju's sustained contribution to Hindi Wikipedia, and the need is genuine. Asaf (WMF) (talk) 00:38, 9 November 2016 (UTC)