Indic Wikimedia Portal/Home
The initial steps and conversations for this initiative took place during CIS-A2K's Wiki Advanced Training 2018 in Ranchi. During the event, there were many conversations about state various policies on Indian Wikipedias, with a comparison to some best practices on English Wikipedia. In conversations, participants realised that there was not any place where Wikimedians from Indian language Wikimedia projects will be able to discuss and get opinions. Also to have a central point for information flow, especially for cases such as on-going/upcoming events and discussions. Though when this was started, the scope was quite limited, over time, it seemed sensible to include pages for resource exchange, help with Wiki-graphics, links to other similar platforms such as Indic TechCom and Indic Wikisource Help Desk. More about this desk can be learnt from later sections on this page.
Indic Wikimedia Portal (
Shortcut:INWP) intends to serve a central coordination space for Wikimedians working on any Indian language Wikimedia projects, and also for those working on related to India on multi-lingual projects such as Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons. It can probably be a common village pump. As of March 2019, the portal has following pages;
- Discussion: To discuss any issues concerning multiple Wikimedia communities. These can discussions can be of anything from policies to projects.
- Resource Exchange: Requests for resource material such as book chapter, journal article, and other sources, to write/improve Wikipedia articles, can be placed here.
- Graphics Lab: Requests to improve all graphical content used by Wikimedia projects stored on the Wikimedia Commons, can be placed here.
- Events & News: One-stop to know about all upcoming, on-going, and past, events, projects, announcements, and discussions, related to Indic Wikimedia projects or for the benefit of Indian Wikimedians.
Redirects to other similar portals
- Indic-TechCom: Requests for support related to technical aspects of Wikimedia such as tools, extensions, bot, gadgets etc. can be placed here.
- Indic Wikisource Helpdesk: Platform to ask or get help for topics-related to Wikisource.
All the above-mentioned pages are inclusive, but not limited to. If you are interested or think that a particular page should be added, please start a conversation on the talk page. All the above-mentioned pages are inclusive, but not limited to. If you are interested or think that a particular page should be added, please start a conversation on the talk page.
- Points to observe
- The portal neither observes ownership to any Wikimedia user nor hierarchy in any form (including users, projects, languages).
- This is a participatory support structure involving co-creative processes, which invite everyone to proactively participate and simultaneously lead conversations and initiatives.
- Wikipedia's editors should treat each other with respect and civility (en:WP:5P4). Though we don't currently have any definite policy, all participants of this portal are strongly recommended to observe and abide by the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces. Though this portal doesn't fit for "technical spaces", the policy is relevant.
This portal primarily aims to coordinate and support Wikimedia projects of Indic languages, and any content that relates to India on multi-lingual projects such as Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons. This is also applicable to the projects that are currently hosted on Incubator as well. Though the discussions may be limited (not certain) to those related India, Wikimedians from across the globe can participate, provide help, and share their expertise here. For example, we cannot discuss issues related to Italian Wikipedia here, but a Wikipedian from Italy (say an Italian) can participate in the discussion, and offer help.
You can contribute to this portal, and in turn on Indic Wikimedia projects by;
- ... participating in an ongoing discussion on the talk page
- ... help the TechCom by contributing to developing tools, gadgets, and fixing technical issues on Wikimedia projects as requested
- ... help with the queries posted to Wikisource Helpdesk
- ... provide sources for as per the requests on Resource Exchange
- ... help with retouching images, creation and editing of drawings, diagrams and maps, for requests on Graphics Lab
- ... maintain and keep updating the events and news pages in accordance with the ongoing announcements
- ... improve the design of the portal which will improve navigation and visual appeal
- ... help with translating the portal and its subpages into non-English languages
- ... initiate/drive discussions to introduce new collaborations (such TechCom, Resource Exchange) into this portal
- ... be bold and do whatever you feel that would contribute towards the betterment of Wikimedia projects