- The following discussion is preserved as an archive of a closed Meta-Wiki request. Please do not modify it.
Hello, my name is Felipe, I'm new here, but I have done the translation of the pages and subpages of AutoWikiBrowser and WPCleanner to pt-br on Wikipedia. Other edits can be checked here.
I noticed that a few thousand translations need to be done for pt-br. So I started my journey... when I noticed that I am are doing double work, because several of the translations have already been done in other articles on meta or can be copied and pasted, because they do not need to be translated, like numbers.
So, I humbly ask for the permission of Translation administrator to be able to use the file import function. With this, I can use, for example, PoEdit, which automatically fills equivalent translations, in addition, the translation becomes easier, especially when there are similar phrases (because you can put them in alphabetical order). This also prevents other translators from wasting their time translating what has already been translated, especially if it can be done "automatically" (of course I will review each of the translations before sending the file).
Obviously I know the risk involved when editing a large number of translations, thus, I'll start with groups that have one or two sentences to translate, import and check if everything is okay, only after doing this procedure a few dozen times and ensuring that there are no problems is when I will start translating groups with more sentences.
About the documentation, I read , ,  and , but I'm still looking for more information. Thanks for your attention. --Felipe L. Ewald (talk) 07:44, 4 April 2017 (UTC)
- Question: In your request you indicate that the permission would allow you to use "for example, PoEdit, which automatically fills equivalent translations". The translation administrator's permission as far as I know does not provide anything additional for normal page translation (for "autofilling"). On the other hand, I would like to know if you have also read the documentation of the translation extension and this guide in order to know if you know the tools it provides and how they are used. Considering that the import of translations by file is somewhat delicate and generally requires trust on the part of the community in that regard. Thank you for your interest in collaborating. Regards. —Alvaro Molina (✉ - ✔) 08:31, 4 April 2017 (UTC)
- @AlvaroMolina: Hello, I read the guide, and have read the documentation of the translation extension now. Like I said, I'm new here, and in this first moment I do not intend to make use of the other functions of the extension, just importing files (which is no less dangerous). As well I will work on the translation of the indicated documentation pages, I go deeper into the operation of the extension. Yes, I believe that the permission does not bring any improvement in the question of automatic completion/suggestion of translations, because of this I intend to make use of the import/export to be able to use some program that has these functions. In no way I want to cause any problems. Thank you. Felipe L. Ewald (talk) 19:42, 4 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Felipe L. Ewald: Thanks for answering. Although you still need to establish yourself here in Meta, I think it is possible to entrust yourself with the tools of translation administrator. Regards. —Alvaro Molina (✉ - ✔) 08:12, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
- Could you give some examples of pages you want to import? Matiia (talk) 01:08, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Matiia: Hello, sorry for the delay in replying. In fact, I don’t have any specific page at this time, since I am translating pages randomly from the Special:LanguageStats list (I want to translate everything...). If the permission is given to me the plan is: choose some page that has between 20 and 100 translations (in this first moment), export it, open it with PoEdit and use the "Pre-translate" function, this will fill translations that have already been done on other pages (because I downloaded all the translations and analyzed with PoEdit that then creates a "Translation Memory" that can be used to translate other pages. If it does not translate anything I will do the translation on the site). After doing this, I continue with the normal translation of the file, check all the translations made automatically (they are marked as 'Needs work'), if everything is right, I do the import, otherwise I correct the translation and look at what files it is in use to correct as well. For example, on the page OTRS/Personnel there are 3 translations that can be done with the "Pre-translate" function, on the group CentralNotice Banners, 2615. Thank you for your attention. Felipe L. Ewald (talk) 19:22, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Felipe L. Ewald Of the functions of translator administrator you confirm will use only the import function of the translations? --Samuele2002 (Talk!) 16:29, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
- @Samuele2002: Hey, of course Samuele. It makes no sense to use other functions without knowing exactly how they work, and there's already too much work to do. Thank you. Felipe L. Ewald (talk) 17:50, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thank you --Samuele2002 (Talk!) 21:01, 18 April 2017 (UTC)
Hello, I just wanted to let you know (if it matters) that the offline translations rights were give to me at the translatewiki.net. You can check here. Felipe L. Ewald (talk) 19:34, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
Permissions granted. —MarcoAurelio 10:31, 30 April 2017 (UTC)
- The above request page is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Comments about this page should be made in Meta:Babel or Meta:Requests for help from a sysop or bureaucrat.