The team’s focus was on providing support to communities and engaging communities on topics related to Movement Strategy and Governance. This support included engagement around the Universal Code of Conduct, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees selections, Hubs, Movement Charter, and supporting initiatives like Movement Strategy Implementation Grants and the Movement Strategy Forum.
Who we are
The MSG team belongs to the Community Resilience and Sustainability team of Wikimedia Foundation's Legal Department. The MSG team includes the Movement Strategy core team as well as a number of facilitators specializing in different wiki projects, languages and regions. Facilitators connect volunteers, communities and affiliates with initiatives to gather feedback, hear their thoughts and appreciate their concerns. Our goal is to achieve a common understanding and agreement of how an initiative can be implemented.
Learn more about the team on the team page.
What we do
The MSG team’s work is guided by the Wikimedia Foundation's Annual Plan. The team is rooted in advancing knowledge equity, strengthening movement governance and health and improving the Foundation’s performance and effectiveness.
- Supporting the Movement Strategy governance reform with equitable participation
- Encouraging robust input of both established and at least 30 emerging communities
- Providing strategic access to Movement Strategy implementation grants for community groups and individuals, in cooperation with the Community Resources team.
- Ensuring better access to data and information about opportunities to advance the Movement Strategy.
- Outreach and supporting the Elections Committee and elections volunteers during the 2021 and 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election.
- Supporting major policy updates. This includes facilitating feedback with the Trust and Safety Policy team for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines. This reflects input of both established and at least 25 emerging communities.
How we support the Foundation
The MSG team provides several types of support to community-oriented programs. These programs are typically determined as part of the Annual Plan.
- Multilingual and multi-regional Movement engagement in targeted topic areas:
- Engaging in 10 major Wikimedia project languages; more languages are possible depending on availability of facilitators and pre-approved requests.
- Regional coverage of Wikimedia major regions: ESEAP, South Asia, MENA, East Africa, West Africa, CEE, Western Europe, Latin America, and North America.
- Support for specific countries is possible depending on availability of facilitators and pre-approved requests.
- Facilitation of community processes such as conversations and elections, with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.