Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Central Alaskan Yup'ik
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Central Alaskan Yup'ik|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||esu (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Central Alaskan Yup'ik||Language name in English|
|Language name||Yup'ik||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q21117 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Rower Chevak (N), Ümüt Çınar (P), Seksen iki yüz kırk beş|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Links||, , , , , ||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Yup'ik native speakers number is about 10,000. Language expert Rower Chevak (N) (Yup'ik degree), her colleague Cup'ig, their students, Iñupiaq and Yup'ik language researchers Ümüt Çınar (P), Prof. Dr. Mehmet Kara (His academic researches; it's review by [] Ümüt Çınar) interested in forming community. Non-Yup'ik (English speaking users) interested in Yup'ik language and culture Jarmanj Turtash, Numulunj pilgae are ready to provide technical support.
Arguments in favour
- A living language. Yup'ik wikipedia will help Yup'ik language community on the lower Kuskokwim River, on Nelson Island, and along the coast between the Kuskokwim River and Nelson Island. Yup'ik literary language needs support for further development. Yup'ik wiki will also be of help for all those specialized in Yup'ik language and traditions studies in modern world.--JT 09:12, 1 August 2010 (UTC)
- Support - living language with many active members, as seen at Chevak şu an Facebook'ta . Fagusius 16:59, 15 August 2010 (UTC)
- Support - It's important to keep indigenous languages alive. If they die out, much valuable information (folk songs, poems, etc) will be lost because nobody would be able to understand it. Kanzler31 22:21, 25 August 2010 (UTC)
- Support - Same as Kanzler31. Chabi 06:14, 4 September 2010 (UTC)
- Support: per above--Andrijko Z. 12:06, 15 November 2010 (UTC)
- Support sounds like this project has a ton of high quality support, let's speedily approve this please.Luciferwildcat (talk) 03:38, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Support-MacRusgail (talk) 22:53, 11 December 2014 (UTC)
Initiating the process
According to the esu entry in Ethnologue, this is a living language, used at home, there's a grammar for it and it is written in the Latin alphabet.
I contacted User:Rower Chevak and invited her to explain here how he would contribute to this project and told her to open an account on translatewiki.net . --Amir E. Aharoni 14:31, 1 August 2010 (UTC)
Localisation has started. For the creation of the project, is it necessary to translate all the MediaWiki messages or just the most used ones? --Seksen iki yüz kırk beş 15:45, 10 August 2011 (UTC)
Project is eligible. Please, go to Translatewiki and ask for setting up the localization for Central Alaskan Yup'ik. If you have some doubts, feel free to contact me (email@example.com or via my talk page). --Millosh 14:03, 31 August 2010 (UTC)