Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Caló
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Caló|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||rmq (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Caló||Language name in English|
|Language name||Caló||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q35466 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Wiktionary||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||wiktionary||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Europe/Madrid||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
We propose creating a Wiktionary project in Caló language. This language was largely spoken by the Romani people who lived and live in the Iberian peninsula. Nowadays, its number of speakers in this peninsula (mainly Spain and Portugal) can vary between 60 thousand and 150 thousand people, depending on the estimates. However, it is also spoken by Romani communities of Iberian origin, present in various countries of Latin America (especially in Argentina, Mexico, Colombia and Brazil), thus the total number of speakers ranges between 65,000 and 170,000).
Despite the relatively large number of speakers, the published dictionaries of this language are not very comprehensive or scientifically rigurous individually. A collaborative project, such a Wiktioinary, could constitute a place to join efforts to create a well-organized Caló dictionary.
Moreover, many Caló terms have been borrowed in Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan, therefore, this Caló Wiktionary could also serve as reference and source of information for people looking for the etymology of many words included in the Wiktionaries of these other languages.
For these reasons, including cultural interest, linguistic relevance and usefulness for the current speakers of Caló and related languages, we request the creation of the Caló Wiktionary.
- No, I am currently looking for native Caló speakers who could contribute to the project by creating the main pages, but above all supervising / correcting new edits. --Ddrazir (talk) 16:18, 23 April 2020 (UTC)
- Luque, Alejandro (2016-12-19). "Difícil pervivencia de una lengua milenaria". El Correo. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- wikisource:es:Diccionario_gitano/Vocabulario_caló-castellano Caló-Spanish dictionary
- García, Mary-Ellen (December 2005). "Influences of Gypsy "Caló" on Contemporary Spanish Slang". Hipania 88 (4): 800–812. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "Luisa Martín Rojo's biography". Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- Gamella, Juan F.; Fernández, Cayetano; Nieto, Magdalena; Adiego, Ignasi-Xavier (December 2011). "The agony of a language". Gazeta de Antropología 27 (2). Retrieved 2020-04-21.