Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Bikol
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Bikol|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||bcl (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Central Bikol||Language name in English|
|Language name||Bikol Sentral||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33284 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Bansa.org Bikol dictionary, Diksionariong Bikol by Mintz, OragonRepublic.com Bikol Dictionary||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||Wiksyunaryo||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wiksyunaryo||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Ulay sa Wiksyunaryo||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wiksyunaryo-logo-01.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Manila||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
Let me take the time to formalize Filipinayzd's request for a Bikol Wiktionary, seeing that the project already exists on Incubator.
But anyway, Bikol (specifically Bikol Naga, Bikol Central or Standard Bikol) is the predominant language of the Bicol Region (Region V) in the Philippines. With 2.5 million speakers, it is the sixth-largest language in the Philippines. With the approval and (now) creation of the Bikol Wikipedia, and with a vibrant community to boot, I think that the Bikol Wiktionary is very much feasible.
Arguments in favour
- Support. All we need then are native speakers, and we have Bicolono Wikipedians currently active. Starczamora 14:45, 30 November 2007 (UTC)
- Weak support It would be good to have a dictionary in this language. But dew to the current activity of the Bikol Wikipedia, I wouldn't be much hoping that this will be even active. The Tagalog Wikipedia is the most active but it's wiktionary only has a handful of edits a week (most of which are vandalism). Cebuano Wiktionary should go first. -- Felipe Aira 02:53, 9 June 2008 (UTC)
- Support. There is an ample number of editors who are native speakers willing to commit on this project. Dang Brazal (Talk) 04:45, 28 November 2019 (UTC)
- SupportThere are active number of editors in the last couple of months.Kunokuno (talk) 03:23, 4 January 2020 (UTC)
- Currently 60.91% of the MediaWiki messages and 5.99% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Localisation of these messages is a requirement before your request is finally assessed. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 12:44, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
User:Sherlock808, User:Kunokuno, User:Brazal.dang, User:Elvilubi, User:Markden24 and other contributors: Langcom intends to approve the creation of Bikol Wiktionary soon. For that, could you please check whether the settings the table at the beginning of the page are all correct (such as the localized project name, the logo, the timezone, ...)? --MF-W 15:52, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Hello MF-W! Thanks for reaching to us. As you can see we are not really programming experts. We all have those things that you are requesting but I am not really sure where to put the Logo and the localized project name. We would be very grateful if you can provide us some guidance on where to update these changes. Thank you very much! Best, Dang Brazal (Talk) 07:41, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
Under 'native label', Bikol Sana is a typo error. It should be "Bikol" as "Sana" means 'only' (Bikol Sentral or simply Bikol, as in Central Bikol Wiktionary or Bikol Wiktionary). Wiksyunaryong Bikol or Wiksyunaryong Bikol Sentral can be an alternative name for its local name. -Filipinayzd (talk) 19:12, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
I changed "Bikol Wiksyunaryo" to just Wiksyunaryo - the language name should not be included there. Also, the logo needs to be an SVG file. --MF-W 17:12, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
Thanks everyone, T270274 was filed. --MF-W 12:45, 16 December 2020 (UTC)