Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Oriya
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wiktionary Oriya)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
Oriya is the predominant language of Orissa (now officially known as Odisha), where Oriya speakers comprise around 83.33% of the population according to census surveys.
- Number of speakers: More than 45 million (globally) speak Oriya
- Locations spoken: Orissa, Vishakhapatnam, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Bangalore, Chennai, Goa, Mumbai, Raipur, Jamshedpur, Baroda, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, Kolkata, Kharagpur, Guwahati.
- Oriya language has spread to the other parts of the globe such as Burma, Malaysia, Fiji, Indonesia, Java, Sumatra, the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan,Bangladesh and UAE. --Srikant Kedia 14:46, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- Support Support Odia (Oriya) is one of the oldest languages of India, originated years ago and the official language of Odisha (Orissa) and one of the official languages of Indian constitution and also spoken by over 3 crores of people over the world. As there was no activism before this project was closed, but now we are building a contributing community for Wikipedia who will also help in contributing here in Wiktionary, so on behalf of the Odia community please approve the request. --ସୁଭ ପା (Subhashish Panigrahi) 15:12, 13 April 2011 (UTC)
- Support Support Odia (Oriya) is recognized by the Government of India as an official language under the 8th Schedule of the constitution, it is roughly spoken by 30 million people from all over the world, with about 83.3% of the population of the state of Odisha being the native speaker of the language. Reactivating oriya wiktionary would give a boost to the language which is loosing its charm due to wide unavailability of Online oriya dictionary except for a handful.
- Support Will help other Oriya users to get the words. Vibhijain 10:42, 20 May 2011 (UTC)
- Support As the community is started building around Odia wikipedia and few users among them are interested in Wiktionary project I support the idea of reoping of Odia wiktionary. Earlier it was closed due to inactivity. --Shijualex 06:13, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- Support Project stuck, still in incubator. Please unlock. -ansuman 18:49, 3 September 2011 (UTC)
- Support Support Every ODIA should help in popularizing odia as most of the educated ODIAs are staying outside ODISHA. I'll make it possible as much as I can. Suchishraba Pallai 14:31, 16 September 2011 (UTC)
- Support Support I suggest to give odia name of Wikitionary as Wikiavidhana.ଦୀପ୍ତିମାନ ପାଣିଗ୍ରାହୀ(Diptiman Panigrahi)12.40, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- The Odia wikipedia itself was stagnating a while ago, have you considered the implication of dividing an already small community further? Theo10011 06:19, 27 May 2011 (UTC)