Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups/Product & Technology/Scoping/Funding
Jump to navigation Jump to search
What is your area of inquiry?
Funding (might overlap with revenue stream WG)
What is the current situation?
- Most funding is brought in by individual donations and a few earmarked grants
- Tech is a cost center
Why this scope?
Based on earlier feedback from last year’s conference
What are the key questions within the scope of the Working Group?
- Should software/tech be considered as a possible revenue-generating avenue? If the movement is to become “the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge”, should this position be leveraged financially?
- If yes, who would the clients be, and who would/could be the service provider(s)?
- How would we connect offer and demand? Or who would benefit from our tech, and whose tech would we benefit from?
- What is the relationship between funding the Wikimedia Movement and funding the Mediawiki ecosystem?
- What checks and balances do we need to make sure this serves the overarching goal of knowledge equity and does not become an end in and of itself?
- What KPIs?
What are the questions the Working Group needs to ask from the wider community?
- What limits or constraints would you see to the movement‘s Plateforms being used as potential income streams?
- What scenarios do you imagine where Tech would or could be a direct source of income?
- Do you know of any sustainable FOSS offer?
What are the areas where you see outside expertise is needed?
Internal expertise: Wikibase
External expertise: business analysis of the FOSS environment (beyond RedHat) and collaborative knowledge management.