Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups/Product & Technology
The group is currently working on defining their scope and guiding questions. You can read and reflect on it here.
Platform, engineering, software development
- together with a wider spectrum of stakeholders, map future scenarios for product and technology development;
- develop structures for continuous communication and ongoing connections between product/technology teams, groups, communities and other stakeholders in the movement and beyond;
- map the needs and expectations for local technological capacity building.
Wikimedia is striving to become the essential infrastructure in the ecosystem of free knowledge, which has large implications for the future of our product and technology. A lot of strategic work in this context is already happening, and different teams, groups and individuals are working towards making Wikimedia technologically ready for change.
We need to explore future scenarios for how Wikipedia and Wikimedia might continue to evolve, not just as the encyclopedia, but as a dynamic source of free knowledge for the world. Conversations regarding technology, product and platform evolution need to include critical stakeholders in the movement (affiliates, project communities, individual developers, product designers,) to ensure a local and contextual relevance of the change. The structures for strategic conversations beyond feature requests are currently non-existent. The Product and Technology Working Group will serve as a platform to initiate and facilitate these conversations around expectations and needs of the critical stakeholder groups.
Our product relevance to individual languages, communities, and cultures is dependant on our ability to nurture local capacity to adapt and build technologies that suit specific localized user needs. The Working Group will function as an outreach channel for these needs and give advice to the teams who are building the products and technologies for our movement.
These questions are not meant to be answered one-to-one but should help the group frame their own conversations and their consultations with movement stakeholders.
- What is the future of Wikimedia product and technology and who are the stakeholders that need to be included in this conversation?
- What are the structures we need to engage with a wider spectrum of stakeholders from the Wikimedia movement and beyond to contribute to these conversations?
- How can we build local volunteer developer networks and connect them with the local communities they serve to advance our aspiration to become the essential infrastructure in the ecosystem of free knowledge?
- How must the experience of access, consumption and contribution evolve to engage communities that are currently unserved or underserved?
|Name||Organization / project||Role||Geography|
|Christophe Henner||Wikimedia Foundation||Board member||Western Europe|
|Corey Floyd||Wikimedia Foundation||Staff member||Northern America, Europe|
|Derick Ndimnain Alangi||Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group||Founding member||Central Africa|
|Franziska Heine||Wikimedia Deutschland||Staff member||Central Europe|
|Gergő Tisza||MediaWiki developer community||Volunteer||Central and Eastern Europe|
|Josh Minor||Wikimedia Foundation||Staff member||Northern America|
|Kristina Millona||Albanian WP||Volunteer||Eastern Europe|
|Kate Chapman||Wikimedia Foundation||Staff Member||Northern America|
|matanya||Meta-Wiki, Hebrew Wikipedia||Volunteer||Western Asia|
|Perside Rosalie||Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group||Volunteer||Central Africa|
|RYU Cheol||Wikimedians of Korea||Board member||East Asia|
|Srishti Sethi||Wikimedia Foundation||Staff member||Northern America|
|Stephane Coillet-Matillon||Kiwix||Staff member||Western Europe|
- Working group scope
- Background material: Platform evolution, Feature/Software Requirements, Developer Ecosystem, Funding, Role in Society
Wikimedia Conference 2018 Working Group Report
- Focus of the conversation
The discussions of the technology group at the Wikimedia Conference 2018 varied from specific features and software requirements to more general conversations regarding platform evolution strategy and even the role of Wikimedia technology in society.
There was a shared understanding that Working Group discussions need to include diverse stakeholders:
A suggested outline for the Working Group process:
If you would like to know more details about the Working Group discussions on this theme, please consult the documentation.
This is a non-exhaustive list. Please add more sources that provide context, background information and insights related to the thematic area.
- Phase I - Cycle 2: Research on technology trends
- Phase I - Cycle 2: Adoption of mainstream technology globally
- Considering 2030: Future technology trends will impact the Wikimedia movement
- Considering 2030: Misinformation, verification and propaganda
- Phase I - Cycle 2: The Augmented Age
- Phase I - Features and Programs report summary
- MediaWiki Platform Architecture Principles
- Wikimedia Technical Conference 2018
- MediaWiki Specialized groups
- Wikimedia Technical Committee
- Platform Evolution initiative