Talk:GLAMcamp Amsterdam

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Urgent info[edit]

As not everyone has send Jessica their check-in times, Angeline has no clue when people are arriving. For them that's not the best thing as they are waiting for your arrival...Furthermore both botels receptions are closed at 22.30, so there is no way to check in after that time, only via someone who is on the botel. Not everyone carries a mobile. Liam carries the Dutch emergency phone which is: 00 31 621308653 and stays in Zebra.

Zebra Botel

Tonight (Thursday) we gather at 6 pm in botel Zebra to walk together to Cafe Cuba (Nieuwmarkt) after that onwards to dinner. Join if you like!

botel Angeline view

From Central Station Amsterdam you could also walk via the Public Library - Nemo and the cute little bridges that will bring you to the botels. So you walk on the other side of the water. This route is more beautiful...(the bridges were closed before, that's why the maps that have been send to you point at the street route Prinshendrikkade').

Window view@ Zebra

The MacBikes come with locks and can be left in front of the pier next to the Botel. Lock them well: through their weel and frame, and onto a post.

MacBike parking

Nearest ATM from the Botel is at Central Station.

View from botels

Programme[edit]

If there is any discussion going on about the programme I can't find it, so I'll kick off here. But if I'm missing something, please direct me.

  • The public worksop link seems dead - not sure if it's supposed to be.
should work now. It's http://glamcampamsterdam.eventbrite.com Wittylama 00:07, 9 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Is there a link for the Wiki Loves Monuments thing the day before? I'm the UK "observer" for that, & would like to explain WMUK's position, past and future, for a few minutes.
Best ask Lodewijk about that - It's being run seperately. Wittylama 00:07, 9 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Things I'd like to be discussed:
  • The non-bulk Commons upload
  • Statistics for institutions - categories and tags
  • GLAM and editor recruitment - what works? and metrics
  • The various language versions of the Wikipedia templates for UNESCO World Heritage Sites, which all seem to have similar issues - see for an example with plenty of iw links Ajanta Caves on en:wp
  • There seems room for chapters starting new GLAM activities to talk to those from more established programmes.

Johnbod 17:35, 4 November 2011 (UTC)

Hi Jon,
The Wiki Loves Monuments pre-meeting will be focused very much on organizational evaluation. You'd be welcome to submit any input of course through the mailing list. Besides that I expect that part of the camp program may contain workshops related to Wiki Loves Monuments - and I'm sure you can find informal moments to explain the position. I am currently unaware of "observers" presence at the Wiki Loves Monuments organizational evaluation meeting, but I may have misunderstood you. Effeietsanders 23:55, 10 November 2011 (UTC)

Some things I'd like to see![edit]

  • Discussion about bringing WLM to the US (in a sense). A bit of discussion has started with Multichill and NHRP folks, but further brainstorming would be nice.
  • Re-evaluate the opportunity for GLAM badges. This fell flat despite my attempts to keep people interested after GLAMcamp :(

...and that's all I can think of this very second. SarahStierch 00:47, 9 November 2011 (UTC)

After Wikipedia Takes Montreal, the Wiki Loves Monuments event is my next "Cheval de bataille". On Septembre 2012, we are couple of people from Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia who want to see that event happen in Canada. Maybe we can look for a North American event? Anyway can't wait to see you in Amsterdam Sarah, and with Multichill can find a way to make it happen! See you guys soon! Antaya 01:27, 9 November 2011 (UTC)
Great to hear about this Antaya - I look forward to exploring the idea with you! Can't wait to see you again, as well! =) SarahStierch 05:18, 9 November 2011 (UTC)

Things I would like include:

  • Discussion regarding the tender process, GLAMs and chapters.
  • Creating stock customisable material to be used for different training events around the same general themes.
  • Working with wikiprojects like MilHist.
  • GLAM projects that involve working on a collaborative goal to create specific body of work.
  • GLAM projects in more remote, less populated areas where the potential contributor base is smaller and getting people to events is harder.
  • How GLAM can fit into the Global Education initiative.

--LauraHale 02:04, 9 November 2011 (UTC)

I'd love to contribute to the freedom declaration in order to develop usage guidelines for GLAMs and discuss:

  • the Communia PD Manifesto and Europeana work
  • WM usage guidelines and the Freedom declaration for GLAM institutions along the lines of Bridgeman v. Corel.

I would be happy to co-moderate a session with Maarten Brinkerink if possible, anyone interested? --Melanie Dulong

Hashtag[edit]

At the last GLAMcamp we used the hashtag #glamwiki on Twitter so as to avoid spreading ourselves too thinly. Since then, however, the GLAM community and project has continued to grow exponentially. In the interest of both being able to look back on the tweets made during the event (#glamwiki is used a lot - GLAMcamp tweets will be pushed down the list) and in order to give the event a specific identity on Twitter, should we use #glamcamp, #glamcampnl or #glamnl (or at least something along those lines) this time around? Regards, Rock drum (talk·contribs) 16:12, 9 November 2011 (UTC)

I'm still not convinced we'd need to - people who are followking GLAMWIKI already are the prime audience for hearing about what we'll be doing, so they certainly won't be complaining about us flooding their hashtag. #glamcamp is actually being used by a makeup brand's advertising campaign in America... Wittylama 02:45, 10 November 2011 (UTC)
It's not flooding that worries me, it's that - should we want to refer to the tweets made during the event at a later date, say, in the newsletter - the tweets from the event will be off the bottom of the list. Regards, Rock drum (talk·contribs) 16:24, 10 November 2011 (UTC)
You can use many different third party places to compile a certain hash tag for a certain amount of time. Try something like Twapper Keeper. HstryQT 19:14, 10 November 2011 (UTC)
I just have to say this: that is the worst name for a third party website ever (as a child of the 1980s). Ha ha ha! SarahStierch 14:44, 11 November 2011 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘
Since you mentioned it, I've given TwapperKeeper a go with some tweets from another event and it hasn't really worked. The tweets just don't show up. :-/ Regards, Rock drum (talk·contribs) 19:45, 21 November 2011 (UTC)

Try SearchHash - though it works best just after the event. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 22:38, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
See also HashMash (disclosure: which I invented ;-) ) Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:27, 28 November 2011 (UTC)
WittyLama and I have been using #iGLAMsterdam recently. PatHadley 13:09, 30 November 2011 (UTC)

This Month in GLAM workshop[edit]

Hi all, I've been talking with a few people and I'd like to run a short (think <30 minutes) session on This Month in GLAM. It would comprise of a ~5 minute presentation, followed by open discussion on what people think of the newsletter, what they want to see and how it can serve them best. Looking at current segments on the schedule, I'm not sure where it would fit in. Although the presentation itself is quite short and could fit in a lightning talk slot, the presentation really needs to be followed by the discussion - which would exceed the time for the lightning talk. Thoughts? Rock drum (talk·contribs) 18:24, 11 November 2011 (UTC)

I would like to participate in this. --LauraHale 10:02, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
Happy to join in. RD, you know I'm especially bad at writing things up (particularly on a monthly basis) and working out how to make it so easy-peasy that lazy people like me might communicate more often would be of interest. We might think of recognizing our internal GLAM-journalists being rather distinct from GLAM-coordinators, GLAM-photographers and GLAM-points of contact. -- 18:28, 12 November 2011 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘
Thanks both for the indications of support. About when this session/workshop could be held during the weekend: it wouldn't really be appropriate as the slides lead into a round table discussion of what people think of the newsletter/what they want to see. As it would be under 20 minutes, would it be possible to squeeze it in as a plenary session one of the mornings? Regards, Rock drum (talk·contribs) 19:13, 20 November 2011 (UTC)

Non-official hostel lodging[edit]

I don't know where others are staying. (Where are you all staying?) I'll be at Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark, mostly because it is YHA and I like them. :) --LauraHale 23:21, 13 November 2011 (UTC)

On-line participation[edit]

Would it be there a possibility for people, who will not be ther in situ to attend on-line? I had got a free time for that from my work, but I am not attending personally, so I can help on-line.--Juandev 00:57, 23 November 2011 (UTC)

This section GLAMcamp_Amsterdam#Basic_information of the page has some links related to opportunities for online participation. I know there was word of other opportunities like skype or video conferencing, so hopefully the organizers will have some insight about that! SarahStierch 06:23, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
Those on-line participant opportunity will be much appreciated. Looking forward seeing details, wishing all best wishes to those who are working on the event. --Aphaia 06:57, 23 November 2011 (UTC)

Event spreadsheet for accommodation etc[edit]

For those attending, THIS is the new spreadsheet we are now working from to organise accommmodation. If you are coming but don't have access to it, please inform Jessica. Please make sure info there is correct. Wittylama 01:32, 25 November 2011 (UTC). Participants from now on (Tuesday) you can only view the spreadsheet. People who havent done so already: please email Jessica the check-in date, time and check-out day asap.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, 30th of November) botel Zebra will not be open before 8.00 am!

Lightning talks[edit]

As you can see on the schedule, there is 1 hour set aside for "Lightning talks" on the first day and 30 minutes for it on other days. If you would like to make a SHORT presentation in one of these sessions, please list your proposal below. Obviously not everyone will be able to speak, so please bear that in mind. Presentations WILL be kept to a 5 minute maximum. You can use this presentation to promote attendance to a full session later in the conference.

Username, topic, preferred day, link to slides/webpage for display.

Example:

Proposals[edit]

  • Panyd, "University GLAM outreach", Saturday, No slides yet
    • Support Support Sounds interesting. Rock drum (talk·contribs) 14:35, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support Would love to hear more about this (slides or not) --Noelmas 11:01, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support PatHadley 11:18, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

OR

  • Panyd, "Outreach to women's cultural groups - what works and what doesn't", Saturday, No slides yet
    • Support Support Sounds interesting. Rock drum (talk·contribs) 14:35, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support (or do both in longer session) Johnbod 21:50, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support I like JohnBod's suggestion PatHadley 11:18, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

I can do either or both if people are stretched for presentation/want to learn. I'd like to do longer talks on these but am not sure where to ask for that one. Panyd 17:18, 26 November 2011 (UTC)

  • Raymond, "How to get in contact easily with the important people (of the cultural sector) of your city", Saturday, no slides yet
    • Support Support Sounds interesting. Rock drum (talk·contribs) 14:35, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support Have tried some of this myself, with little success so far. Would be interested in suggestions on how to improve. -- Daniel Mietchen 17:39, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Dominic, "Wikisource: How it works and why we should care, using NARA as a case study", Friday (or whenever)
    • Support Support I would definitely like to hear more about this. And perhaps discuss Source's shortcomings. --Mr impossible 15:37, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support I pressed the idea of improvements to Wikisource when I had a chance with Sue Gardner when she visited The National Archives (the original one ;-) ) and I have been using NARA's case study with other folks such as the British Library and the Open Knowledge Foundation so IMHO it's a good one for everyone to be aware of. The burn-down lists behind the scenes would be neat to squeeze in too, it would be nice if these techniques were transferable and tool supported. -- 22:48, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support I am interested, especially with an eye on depositing open access articles on Wikisource, as discussed here. -- Daniel Mietchen 17:31, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Adrienne - Freedom of Panorama legislation in France.
  • Ziko - Ho to present Wikimedia-related topics, some lessons from practice, no slides yet
    • Can you explain this a bit more? Multichill 16:17, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
      • What needs explanation, you think? --Ziko 19:44, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
  • PatHadley Archaeology and Wikipedia - A view from the bridge.
    I'd like to talk about opportunities to improve relations between professional and amateur archaeologists and Wikipedia using examples from York and Yorkshire UK. The prezi can be found here.
  • Melanie Dulong - Communia policy recommendations for PD works
  • Antaya - Museversity (Muséversité) : wiki-ambassador help to match a university program and it's students/teachers with a museum's curator/employees in order to meet and improve article/pictures/etc. Just like the worldwide cultural cooperative projects called Twin towns and sister cities, I'd love to develop some "Museversities" matches between protagonists and sense of belonging between them. For example, organise meetings between Montreal Biodome's curator + students/teachers of Department of Biological Sciences + wiki-ambassador (me), and we all work in a museum's room about a specific subject. (does it already exists?) Antaya 16:51, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
    • This sounds related to the first talk from Panyd. Is there room for a back-to-back or joint presentation PatHadley 12:08, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Danny B. - Metadata and connection to third party databases and back (with live example).
    • Support Support I would love to understand more about getting data out of Wikimedia sites as opposed to just in. --Mr impossible 15:37, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support Enriching archives with data processing is something many archivists seem to dream of! PatHadley 12:08, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Mr impossible - "Not just a bunch of stuff" - what else GLAMs could be good for.
    • Support Support Getting beyond the "artefact" is proving tricky for a number of our partner relationships, an insight might create some neat thoughts on approaches. -- 18:25, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • Support Support Johnbod 21:50, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • "Unesco World Heritage Site" Infobox template - why it's terrible (in all languages) and needs radical changes. Johnbod 21:48, 30 November 2011 (UTC)

Support Support PatHadley 12:08, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

Dutch DNA[edit]

Learn more about the Dutch culture I AMSTERDAM official Website

LOL, did our page just get spammed? SarahStierch 16:16, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
Yup, looks pretty much like it. Regards, Peter Weis 16:52, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
Hey, Jessica posted these helpful links for your information :) So no worries, no spammers here, just someone being helpful. Effeietsanders 17:10, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
Never mind that, where's the best source of banketstaaf? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 22:36, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
You should more preferable look for stroopwafels, official Wikifood. Romaine 13:22, 28 November 2011 (UTC)
Stroopwafels I can find in Birmingham; banketstaaf, never. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 08:33, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
I personally prefer the cheap ones from the supermarket (the cheaper the better the taste - because it is less 'heavy') but if you want real luxureous ones, find a bakery (google maps should find you one nearby). Btw, they don't sell *fresh* and *big* stroopwafels in Birmingham! Effeietsanders 23:07, 2 December 2011 (UTC)

What I want to work on, what I want to achieve[edit]

Here are the headings listed on the "Tasks" section of the event page to get conversation started! Please add your thoughts, ideas, criticisms and specific outcomes you want to achieve here! :-)

  • Documentation
    • I would like to see more work being done on the case studies and other documentation. Maybe also on the more technical stuff. Multichill 12:39, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
      • I am with Multichill, easy how-to non-Wikispeak guides for GLAMs and Wikimedians. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Wikipedians in Residence
    • Maybe we can make something like a profile of people who we need to be this? I think it's a good concept, but it's hard to find the right people. Multichill 12:39, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
      • I agree, it takes the right personality, skills and so forth to do this. It could be contentious, but, the group that serves as residents right now seem to show the track that residencies run on, and it'd be nice to tweak that out, it'd help institutions also. (Often they ask what to ask for in a resident..) I'd also like to work on a structured defined role, though I know Lori has been hashing that out also. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
        • This would be absolutely invaluable for me and I'd aim to have a person spec written for my organisation by the end of the weekend. --Mr impossible 15:25, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • What happens in 2012?
    • For one a big update outreach session like last year would be very nice! 12:39, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Mass Upload & Metrics system
This will be the topic of the friday morning plenary session Wittylama 12:25, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
  • glamwiki.org revamp
Personally, I'd love to see us actually launch a first version of glamwiki.org as a standalone website - this can be used to show all of our case studies, easy links to tools etc. and keep the wiki free for wikimedians to work :-) Wittylama 12:25, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
+ 1 as the initiator of the idea... ;-)
Danny B. 04:28, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Yes, something that isn't as Wiki-per se and is visually attractive. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • You don't necessarily need to make it non-wiki. There's plenty of great themes for MediaWiki available and we can surely find somebody who's really knowledgeable about that stuff. See The Open Globe for an overview how cool MediaWiki can look like or have a look at the website of Wikimedia Deutschland. odder (talk) 08:37, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Freedom Declaration
I think there's a group from Europeana/Open Knowledge Foundation who want to discuss how they can be involved in this idea too Wittylama 12:25, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Communia is also interested in the conversation, along the lines or not of past open glam workshop held by OKF and Communia at the CC summit. --Melanie Dulong 08:09, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Recruiting
    • People who are active in Wiki Loves Monuments might also be interested in doing GLAM things. Multichill 12:39, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
      • Also outreach in general for students, museum and cultural programs (four residents are museum/archives students after all)....work with global education and women's outreach as well. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
    • I'm also really interested in talking about how to attract more volunteers on-wiki. Dominic 14:46, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
  • Wiki Loves Monuments
    • Next year worldwide? How to do this? Multichill 12:39, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
      • +1 This is big on my agenda. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • QRpedia
What would it take to get this integrated into Wikipedia so people could generate a QRpedia code without leaving the site? Is the privacy policy compatible? Wittylama 12:25, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
+ 1 There could be extension (seems quite easily) written for such purposes.
Danny B. 04:28, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
Happy to talk about our experiences with these if it's helpful --Mr impossible 15:30, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Badges
Let the GLAM institutions identify and spread the glamwiki.
Danny B. 04:28, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Yes, I really want to see this happen and I was sorely disappointed it was left on the table after GLAMcamp NYC. SarahStierch 04:40, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • Metadata
a) for files b) in articles. What can be done immediately, what needs to be created. Standardize. Gain some support from MW devs.
Danny B. 04:28, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • General comments
    • I'd like to think about how we handle partnerships that seek to (or already have become) be involved with the GLAM Outreach movement that don't fall into the traditional sector of GLAM. It's something that causes mixed emotions, and some frustration, and I think hashing out some ideas on how to deal with that would be useful, if not interesting. SarahStierch 04:44, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
  • See also the various other sections above. Johnbod 21:52, 30 November 2011 (UTC)

Mrjohncummings 09:22, 1 December 2011 (UTC)

  • How to upload large amounts of images to Commons
    • Monmouth Museum would like to donate about 10,000 images digitised, covering our two main collections - local history (photos, paintings, prints) and Admiral Nelson (letters and pictures, one of the most comprehensive collections that exists), with either attached data or the data is on library cards. Would like to discuss the best ways of uploading and organising etc.

Mrjohncummings 09:22, 1 December 2011 (UTC)

  • Science GLAMs
    • So far, GLAM activities and Wikimedians in residence are largely focused on the cultural sector, with little or no mention of the sciency subsection thereof, e.g. natural history museums. I would be very interested in exploring possibilities to beef up activities in that area. -- Daniel Mietchen 11:02, 2 December 2011 (UTC)