Talk:Movement Strategy and Governance
This page is for discussions related to the Movement Strategy and Governance page.
Please remember to:
Dear Movement Strategy and Governance team, this is one super heavy image...cute, but not essential and no need to be in very high resolution .png, but rather compressed .jpg - no? --Zblace (talk) 18:43, 28 December 2021 (UTC)
- @Zuz (WMF) Should be able to respond --Abbad (WMF) (talk) 20:04, 16 January 2022 (UTC).
@Omotecho: Responding to your edit summary that added <languages/> and asked for termbase translation - I don't believe it's helpful for this page to be translated. Instead, if you wish to add a new language, I think it should be a new column in the table. @DBarthel (WMF): May be able to help --Abbad (WMF) (talk) 20:03, 16 January 2022 (UTC).
- @Abbad (WMF), yes yes, I support your consideration, and maybe make the lead section into hatnote? Ppl will read in local language (hatnote) what they can do, then add columns per language and add/revise on it as self-service. Is it feasible?
- I am thrilled to see this format of working side-by-side as to edit the same table but on unique column. On the corner of my eyesight, the idea flickers why not a spreadsheet. Pro, sheets can be assigned per language, more intuitive to pick/create the right column per language. Con, maintaining is demanding hours?
- My primary image of glossary building is not very sustainable, or if we are to ask a maintainer to receive local glossaries at first stage, convert/reformat each, and as the second stage, output on Meta:glossary page? Thirdly ppl will revise/add more terms on their columns? Like librarian receives donated books, and finish tasks before putting on shelves for everybody? (Nobody should write inside the books, tho! (; -- Omotecho (talk) 06:00, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Omotecho: Thank you for your quick follow up! I see that I have misunderstood you. Indeed, it makes a lot of sense to translate the first section (and not the table itself). It's now available to translate, and @YShibata (WMF) may also be able to help in bringing to Japanese.
- I'm also happy to create a new column for Japanese, if you think it's useful. Just let me know. It does require maintenance, indeed, but we do have a dedicated Japanese language facilitator (Yumiko, tagged here) who, I believe, is already working on this, and thus may be able to maintain it.
- If I understand you correctly, are you suggesting creating a specific page to collect community's suggestions for this glossary before adding them to the main table? I find the idea intriguing, but perhaps it could be more reasonable to do it on Japanese Wikipedia, so users are in a place where they are comfortable contributing? :) --Abbad (WMF) (talk) 11:04, 19 January 2022 (UTC).
- @Abbad (WMF), the Glossary building team on jawp is quite lucky to have Yumiko: We discussed we'd better open up the project to any jawp users and bring a place locally on jawp, so that it be much simple: whenever you wish to look up a glossary, you need not to go to Meta, which is rather a new-found land for Junior (and even Senior) editors: their hearts belongs to building Encyclopedia.
- My ambition will remain that by finding Meta much accessible through shared local glossary, then more eyes will see how Meta is connected with local activities. Or comprehending the culture of Meta is an adventure the Glossary would be a much needed jumping board to access, as well as, you know, when you climb a tree, your eyesight expands wider/deeper/farther than 'old' or ground bound view.
- Yes, if you would offer wikis/language groups with limited resources, a sandbox on meta where they ship their glossary and spend their time on their yearly tasks locally, that would be a great gift as glossary task and editing articles requires different sets of special talents: IMHO nevertheless they would need a glossary to bridge their project and Meat-WMF-2030 Strategy/Initiatives. The small team size at its start on local wikis can sustain without burning out.
- I am sure jawp is among the luckiest wiki where we have forerunners on jawp-General Glossary for WMF. The turf is greener/flatter, and we have been focusing on 2022 Board election preps, as well as Grants for 2022 and Movement Initiatives, which Yumiko supported us to see as the nearest subject to reach out to. Very very blessed with those experienced on glossary building/terminology brains over here, with transparent facilitation by your team. Cheers, and happy weekend to you, -- Omotecho (talk) 13:04, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
今後ウィキペディア日本語版との連絡は誰が担当するのでしょうか？ Who will be in charge of contacting the Japanese version of Wikipedia in the future?
2022年6月30日でuser:YShibata (WMF)との契約期間が終了したとのことですが、今後、どなたはウィキペディア日本語版との連絡を担当されるのでしょうか。また、Movement Strategy and Governance/Teamを見たところ、日本語を母語とするメンバーはおられないようですが、どのような形でコミュニケーションをとられるつもりなのでしょうか。(Hereafter, machine translation by GOOGLE translation) It is said that the contract period with user: YShibata (WMF) has expired on June 30, 2022. Who will be in charge of contacting the Japanese version of Wikipedia in the future? Also, looking at the Movement Strategy and Governance / Team, it seems that there are no members whose native language is Japanese, but what kind of communication do you intend to have?--匿竜類 (talk) 05:46, 9 July 2022 (UTC)
- 先ほど上記のメッセージをTalk:Movement Strategy and Governance/Teamに投稿しましたが、Talk:Movement Strategy and Governance/Teamは使われていないようなので、こちらに再度投稿します。(Hereafter, machine translation by GOOGLE translation)I posted the above message to Talk: Movement Strategy and Governance / Team earlier, but it seems that Talk: Movement Strategy and Governance / Team is not used, so I will post it here again.--匿竜類 (talk) 05:55, 9 July 2022 (UTC)
- @匿竜類: thank you for your question! For the time being, Vivien Chang and I would be sharing the responsibility to facilitate MSG works to the Japanese-speaking community. We are not native speakers of Japanese, so in the interim we will not be able to facilitate as deeply (and as good, I would say) as Yumiko, who is a native speaker. We should be able to share more about the next steps regarding our team's facilitation of the Japanese-speaking community in the near future, and we will make sure to update you in the good time. Best, RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 18:37, 12 July 2022 (UTC)