Talk:Wikimedia LGBT/Wiki Loves Pride Featured Picture drive 2017
Discussions prior to 2017 can be found at Talk:Wikimedia_LGBT/Wiki_Loves_Pride_Featured_Picture_drive_2016.
The grant money has been successfully transferred as of the end of January 2017. The remaining work of writing posts for the 36 target projects and then re-requesting the central notice should complete in February 2017. --Fæ (talk) 13:46, 2 February 2017 (UTC)
Pre-notifying project embassies
The requirement for all projects to be contacted in advance of a central notice being approved is composed of an English post to go to all Embassies for projects listed at Wikidata:Q3925302. This requirement was unplanned as it is not a normal requirement for the majority of Central notices, such as POTY or WLM projects, and consequently has resulted in a couple of extra months delay to the competition launch. --Fæ (talk) 09:43, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
Generating a list of embassies is more complex than it seems at first. To get around this, a Wikidata report has been produced, see report of Wikipedia embassies where FPC noticeboard exist.
== Wiki Loves Pride featured picture drive == [[File:Men kissing in IKEA.jpg|right|250px]] Comments and feedback on the planned international LGBT+ [[m:Wikimedia_LGBT/Wiki_Loves_Pride_Featured_Picture_drive_2017|Wiki Loves Pride featured picture drive]] are welcome on the discussion page, see [[m:Talk:Wikimedia_LGBT/Wiki_Loves_Pride_Featured_Picture_drive_2017|link]]. The competition encourages high quality photographs from Pride events and other LGBT+ cultural related images to be released to Wikimedia Commons. The goal is to see a jump in the numbers of LGBT+ cultural related photographs nominated for Featured Picture status on all Wikimedia projects. Help is needed to prepare a banner in your language! See [[:m:Grants:Project/Rapid/LGBT/Wiki_Loves_Pride_Featured_Picture_drive_2017/Banners|banner translations]]. Thank you! --~~~~
For right to left languages, <div class="mw-content-ltr"></div> should work as a wrapper, best to use a stand alone editor first and stick to notice without an image to illustrate. --Fæ (talk) 13:28, 22 April 2017 (UTC)
|ar||ar: ويكيبيديا:سفارة||ويكيبيديا:ترشيحات الصور المختارة||POSTED Arabic|
|ba||ba:Википедия:Вәкиллек||Википедия:Аҙналағы рәсем/Тәҡдим||POSTED Bashkir|
|bar||bar:Wikipedia:Botschofd||Wikipedia:Kandidatn fia Berige Buida||POSTED Bavarian|
|ckb||ckb: ویکیپیدیا:بالیۆزخانەی ناوخۆ||ویکیپیدیا:کاندیداکانی وێنەی ھەڵبژێردراو||POSTED Central Kurdish|
|de||de:Wikipedia:Botschaft||Wikipedia:Kandidaten für exzellente Bilder||POSTED German|
|en||Wikipedia:Embassy||en:Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates||POSTED English|
|es||es:Wikipedia:Embajadas||Wikipedia:Candidatos a recursos destacados||POSTED Spanish|
|fa||fa: ویکیپدیا:سفارتخانه||ویکیپدیا:گزیدن نگاره برگزیده||POSTED Persian|
|gl||gl:Wikipedia:Embaixada||Wikipedia:Imaxe da semana/Propostas||POSTED Galacian|
|he||he: ויקיפדיה:שגרירות||ויקיפדיה:תמונה מומלצת/הוספה למומלצות/דיונים||POSTED Hebrew|
|hi||hi:विकिपीडिया:दूतावास||विकिपीडिया:मुखपृष्ठ निर्वाचित चित्र/उम्मीदवार||POSTED Hindi|
|hu||hu:Wikipédia:Nagykövetség||Wikipédia:Javaslatok kiemelt képekre||POSTED Hungarian|
|id||id:Wikipedia:Kedutaan||Wikipedia:Gambar pilihan/Usulan||POSTED Indonesian|
|ka||ka:ვიკიპედია:საელჩო||ვიკიპედია:რჩეული ფოტოები/კანდიდატები||POSTED Georgian|
|kk||kk:Уикипедия:Елшілік||Жоба:Таңдаулы суреттер/Үміткерлер||POSTED Kazakh|
|ky||ky:Wikipedia:Элчилик||Уикипедия:Күндүн мыкты сүрөтү||POSTED Kyrgyz|
|min||min:Wikipedia:Kadutaan||Wikipedia:Gambar Nan Tapiliah/Usulan||POSTED Minang|
|ml||ml:വിക്കിപീഡിയ:Embassy||വിക്കിപീഡിയ:തിരഞ്ഞെടുക്കാവുന്ന ചിത്രങ്ങൾ||POSTED Malayalam|
|ms||ms:Wikipedia:Kedutaan||Wikipedia:Calon gambar pilihan||POSTED Malay|
|pl||pl:Wikipedia:Ambasada||Wikipedia:Ilustracja na medal - propozycje||POSTED Polish|
|ro||ro:Wikipedia:Ambasadă||Wikipedia:Propuneri pentru imagini de calitate||POSTED Romanian|
|so||so:Wikipedia:Safaarad||Wikipedia:Soo Bandhigga Sawirka Xulka||POSTED Somali|
|tr||tr:Vikipedi:Büyükelçilik||Vikipedi:Seçkin resim adayları||POSTED Turkish|
|tt||tt:Википедия:Илчелек||Википедия:Сайланган рәсемгә кандидатлар||POSTED Tatar|
|uz||uz:Vikipediya:Elchixona||Vikipediya:Tanlangan tasvir nomzodlari||POSTED Uzbek|
|vi||vi:Wikipedia:Đại sứ quán Wikimedia||Wikipedia:Đề cử hình ảnh chọn lọc||POSTED Vietnamese|
|yo||yo:Wikipedia:Embassy||Wikipedia:Àwòrán ọjọ́ òní||POSTED Yoruba|
|yue||yue:Wikipedia:本地大使館||Wikipedia:正圖候選||Cantonese - recommended VP was protected against edits|
Other projects without relevant embassies
- Commons POSTED on Village Pump
Other projects with no local FPC process
From the top 10 most spoken languages missing from the list, based on Wikidata's list of FPC pages.
@Fæ:, thanks for letting us know your plans. I'm worried about posting that banner in ru-wiki because of en:Russian gay propaganda law. Russian government can use this case to either block ru-wiki within Russia or/and impose fine upon local Wikimedia charter. --Ghuron (talk) 06:48, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
- There are probably two separate aspects to this issue. I'll reply to them separately.
- The competition may be disruptive for the Russian Wikipedia.
- This is an issue that regular participants in the Russian Wikipedia would need to address, rather than folks such as myself to impose from the outside. If this is seen as a sufficiently worrying concern, then I suggest a formal Request for Comments is created to establish and document a consensus as to whether the Russian Wikipedia, or potentially geo-locations in Russia in any language, should or should not be a project for this notice to be published. With a formal consensus documented one way or the other, the Central Notice procedure should respect that consensus.
- The competition may be illegal or unlawful in Russia under the Russian gay propaganda law.
- The law is intended to protect children from "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relationships". However the competition is not for photography that by itself could called propaganda. Nor is there any intent to target children. The competition is not a rights campaign and has no political agenda. The goal, as stated in the Proposal, is simply to increase the number of Featured Picture quality photographs for all projects in all languages on the theme of LGBT+ culture and history. These may be high quality photographs of any kind on this theme, even photographs of protests against LGBT+ acceptance.
- I recommend that if active Russian language contributors believe that this competition risks breaking the law in Russia, and may be a risk to the Russian Wikipedia, they contact WMF legal. As the recipient of the grant, I have taken the precaution of notifying Michelle Paulson by email of this discussion, well in advance of the Central Notice being agreed.
- The competition may be disruptive for the Russian Wikipedia.
- Thanks --Fæ (talk) 10:02, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not that much worried about #2, personally I think this law is plain stupid, the whole hypothesis of "propaganda can change sexual orientation" has no scientific proof. Also I do know Jimbo's opinion regarding "wikipedia blocking" and I believe your initiative can bring a lot of good for community. But being blocked not because of wikipedia content, but because of the banner, seems a bit silly :)
- Anyway, I'm not experienced meta-participant, so I'm seeking your advise. Assuming that we will have discussion at ru-wiki project chat and there will be formal consensus, which can be translated to English, would should we do next? --Ghuron (talk) 10:58, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
- I suggest we then add a brief summary of the conclusion to the Central Notice request, and the CN administrators can advise on implementation. I suggest that any RfC (or equivalent), is on the basis of potentially excluding the central notice from Russian Wikipedia readers geo-located in Russia. Obviously, a Russian reader sitting in London, has no reason to be concerned about complying with Russian censorship laws. I doubt we need go further than that, unless WMF legal agrees that the notice should not run in any language for readers geo-located in Russia, which seems unlikely from what I understand so far.
- Hopefully, the RfC will conclude that nothing needs to be done, as this competition is not propaganda. Thanks --Fæ (talk) 11:22, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks, I've opened discussion below your post, but want to double-check one thing. Did I get it right that final banner will feature either this picture or similair one? --Ghuron (talk) 12:43, 25 April 2017 (UTC)