Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe and contribute.
|previous||2013, week 26 (Monday 24 June 2013)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Translations are available.
- Recent software changes
- (Not all changes will affect you.)
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.22wmf8) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on June 20. It will be enabled on non–Wikipedia sites on June 24, and on all Wikipedias on June 27. 
- Universal Language Selector was enabled on the Catalan (ca), Cebuano (ceb), Persian (fa), Finnish (fi), Norwegian Bokmål (no), Portuguese (pt), Ukrainian (uk), Vietnamese (vi), Waray-Waray (war) and Chinese (zh) Wikipedias. 
- The new interface for account creation and log–in is now the default on all Wikimedia wikis. The old look is no longer available (bug #46333). 
- The TimedMediaHandler extension now supports native FLAC files. A discussion to allow this file type is taking place on Commons (bug #49505). 
- After a test period, the Disambiguator extension was enabled on the English Wikipedia on June 18. 
- VisualEditor news:
- A VisualEditor bug temporarily made all new accounts unusable. The issue is now fixed and account creation works as before (bug #49727).
- A high importance file insertion bug has been fixed, but the feature does not work perfectly yet. 
- Future software changes
- The default link to a help page on editing, visible below the editing window, will change on almost 600 Wikimedia wikis and will now link to MediaWiki.org (bug #45977). 
- Universal Language Selector will be enabled on wikis without language versions (such as Wikisource and Wikispecies) on June 25. 
- The AbuseFilter extension will allow filtering links and HTML code for page creations. 
- The related changes special page will now include upload log entries. 
- It will soon be possible to choose the language of SVG files that contain translations. 
- MediaWiki will now allow converting audio files from one format to another. 
- The Wikidata technical team has started a discussion about how Wikidata can support Wiktionary. 
- The search feature on Wikimedia sites is planned to be modified to use Solr on all wikis by the end of 2013. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.