Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe and contribute.
|previous||2014, week 01 (Monday 30 December 2013)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- You can now see the text of DjVu and PDF files in search results on wikis testing the new search tool (CirrusSearch).  
- With the new version of the Wikibase DataModel extension, you can install it outside Wikimedia wikis. 
- Images are now shown inside VisualEditor as HTML5
<figure />elements. Comments are welcome. 
- You can now test a basic version of VisualEditor on mobile devices; see this article as an example.
- On December 23, Wikimedia Labs was broken for 4 hours due to an NFS problem. 
Future software changes
- CirrusSearch will be added as the second search method for Spanish (es), French (fr), Portuguese (pt) and Russian (ru) wikis on December 30. Wikimedia Commons, Wikispecies and Wikinews users will also be able to enable it in their Beta Features options.
- AbuseFilter log entries will be visible in CheckUser tool reports.  
- It will soon be possible to search for log entries done by users without an account.  
- It will no longer be possible to globally hide users with more than 1,000 edits.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.