Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.23wmf14) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on February 13. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on February 18, and all Wikipedia wikis on February 20 (calendar).
- You can now use the list of active users again.  
- The new search tool (CirrusSearch) now gives more importance to content namespaces if you search in several namespaces. 
- You can now directly link to files viewed with MultimediaViewer, the new tool for viewing media files. 
- You can read the summary of the Wikimedia technical report for January 2014. 
- On February 9, Wikimedia Labs was broken for about 2 hours due to an XFS file system problem. 
- On February 11, there were problems with VisualEditor for about 20 minutes due to a server logging issue. 
- On the same day, for about 20 minutes there were issues with page loading due to database problems.
- There were issues with page loading between 21:00 UTC on February 13 and 11:00 UTC on February 14 for users in Europe. It was due to a cache server problem.
- On February 14, all sites were broken for about 15 minutes for users in Southeast Asia, Oceania and the western part of North America. It was due to problems with cache servers.
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.
- The link tool now tells you when you're linking to a disambiguation or redirect page. 
- You can now change image display (like thumbnail, frame and frameless) with VisualEditor. 
- Wikitext warnings will now hide when you remove wikitext from paragraphs you are editing. 
- You will soon be able to create and edit redirect pages with VisualEditor.