Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- You can subscribe to the wikitech-ambassadors mailing list to get news more quickly and to send feedback or report problems.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf9) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on June 12. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on June 17, and to all Wikipedias on June 19 (calendar).
- You can now read a summary of the Wikimedia technical report for May 2014.
- You can now easily see the target of a link or other information using the context menu. 
- When you edit a reference, you can now empty it and click the "use an existing reference" button to switch it to re-use another reference.  
- You can now add and edit
__DISAMBIG__ in the page settings menu.    
- The tool to insert special characters is now wider and simpler; the order of mathematical symbols is now correct.   
Future software changes
- Media Viewer will be enabled by default on all wikis on June 19. Feedback is welcome. 
- You will no longer be able to use navigation popups and Hovercards at the same time. 
- You will no longer see image thumbnails on search results pages on Wikibooks and Wikisource wikis.  
- It will soon be possible to globally rename global (SUL) users.  
- Tablet users will be redirected to the mobile view of Wikimedia wikis starting on June 17. 
- The special page that lists most linked-to templates will soon include pages from all namespaces; it will also be renamed to
- An IRC discussion about Phabricator will take place on June 17 at 17:30 UTC on the channel #wikimedia-office on freenode (time conversion). You can also read a blog post about the upcoming switch to Phabricator.
- You can now comment on the draft 2014-15 goals of the Wikimedia Foundation engineering department. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.