Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
|previous||2019, week 18 (Monday 29 April 2019)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- The Wikipedia app for Android now invites users to add Wikidata descriptions to Wikidata objects that have Wikipedia articles but no Wikidata descriptions. It will only invite users who have added a number of Wikidata descriptions in the app without being reverted. This is to avoid spam and bad edits. 
- Tech News was late last week because of a MassMessage bug. Other newsletters had the same problem. 
Changes later this week
- You will see when you last refreshed the recent changes page. This is so you can see how recent the changes are. 
- When you write a comment in Structured Discussions but have not posted it yet your web browser will save it in
local storageinstead of
session storage. This means you do not lose them even if you close your web browser. Structured Discussions used to be called Flow. 
- You will be able to turn off milestone notifications. Milestone notifications congratulate you when you have made certain numbers of edits. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 30 April. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 1 May. It will be on all wikis from 2 May (calendar).
- You can join the technical advice meeting on IRC. During the meeting, volunteer developers can ask for advice. The meeting will be on 1 May at 15:00 (UTC). See how to join.
- The Wikidata
wb_termstable will be dropped. This will affect some Wikidata tools. They need to be updated. The table has become too big which is causing problems. This will happen on 29 May. You can read more. You can ask for help if you need it.
- Wikimedia wikis will soon use a token when you log out. This changes how the API works. Some tools might need to be updated. 
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.