Individual or team of up to 4 individuals. See other grant options
Willing to provide full legal name and address. See more program rules
Able to independently complete the project.
Grantees are not awarded special access to WMF Engineering and Product Development or other non-grantmaking staff.
Scoped to 6 months, with potential to renew for 6 more if need is shown.
Maksimālā summa ir 30 000 ASV dolāri. Minimuma nav.
Aimed at improving one or more of Wikimedia's existing websites. Creating a new wiki instead?
Technical projects should be completed independently. Development of templates, gadgets, bots, and standalone applications are welcome. Software projects requiring code review and integration must demonstrate commitment from the related maintainers.
Any code or other materials produced must be published and released as free and open-source. Licensing should be compatible with current Wikimedia and MediaWiki practices.
Content-creation is not directly funded.
Projects should foster conditions that encourage editing by volunteers (e.g. editor recruitment campaigns), not replace volunteer action by funding someone to edit articles, upload photos, etc.
We select proposals based on the following criteria:
- Impact potential - Does it fit with Wikimedia's strategic priorities? Does it have potential for online impact? Can it be sustained, scaled, or adapted elsewhere after the grant ends?
- Innovation and learning - Does it take an innovative approach to solving a key problem for the Wikimedia movement? Is the potential impact greater than the risks? Can we measure success?
- Ability to execute - Can the scope be accomplished in 6 months? How realistic/efficient is the budget? Do the participants have the necessary skills/experience?
- Community engagement - Does it have a specific target community within the Wikimedia movement, and plan to engage it often? Does it have community support? Does it support diversity?
- The total amount of funding available - annually approved by the WMF Board.