User talk:JGerlach (WMF)
Also, when WMF organizes events like these, would you please try to deconflict them from the monthly Wikimedia US Coalition meetups that are scheduled via Doodle? The Doodle polls are posted to the WikimeduaUS-l public mailing list, and it would be helpful if WMF would check which dates are popular on those polls before WMF schedules events in SF. For this month the SF FOS event was scheduled before the US event, and in circumstances like this it would be helpful to have the WMF event announced to the SF mailing list as soon as possible so that the people who are scheduling the US meetup can try to deconflict that meetup from the SF meetup. Thanks! --Pine✉ 21:17, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
Hi Pine. Yes, I can try. Thanks for reaching out about this. --JGerlach (WMF) (talk) 18:08, 20 October 2016 (UTC)
Encuentro Iberoamericano de la comunidad
Queríamos invitarte al encuentro iberoamericano de la comunidad que vamos a realizar el 10 de junio a las 18:30hs. en el bar Back in Black de Recoleta, CABA. Podés encontrar más información en la página del evento.
¡Sumate a compartir este espacio que reúne voluntarios/as de distintas partes del mundo!
No te olvides de firmar en la página.
I fully agree with you that pre-filters would suck. But, there's always a but.. Roughly 70% of cross-wiki uploads are extremely problematic. It really is terrible. Take a look at the cross-wiki uploads at any given time and the majority is just crap:
- This is just stupid.
- Own work! Really!
- How could this ever be just own work?
- Certainly user "AReliableSource" was there to take that photo!
- If I understand correctly, Leonardo da Vinci is registered on Commons under the username "Castello Sforzesco".
- This photo was taken today by user "Soulfullandrew".. Now why do I not believe that.
- The source actually provides a BY-SA license.. too bad the user claims own work, so it'll probably be deleted.
- Rajendra Prasad died in 1963, yet this photo is own work from 2009.. How?
- Timothy A. Clary, a Getty photographer, registered on Commons as "Pavlopedo"..suuuuure
- And some Italian government minister registered as "Fquadri"
And it goes on and on and on. Pre-filters are a terrible idea, but doing nothing about cross-wiki uploads only provides ammunition to the proponents of it. I actually did start on c:Commons:Upload Wizard proposals some time ago, but a nearly complete lack of support and interest means I won't get back to that soon. Alexis Jazz (talk) 16:31, 11 September 2018 (UTC)