Jump to content

WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/How to make animated GIFs

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Submission no. 022
Title of the submission
How to make animated GIFs
Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
Tutorial / workshop
Author of the submission

Zachary McCune

Language of presentation


E-mail address



Zachary McCune - Global Audiences Manager, Communications

Country of origin


Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)

Wikimedia Foundation, FLNR

Personal homepage or blog
Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
An animated GIF from last year's Wiki Indaba

Learn how to make animated GIFs of your own using web-based tools and small video clips! In this hands-on tutorial, we'll look at how you can make and edit animated GIFs of your own for use on Wikimedia Commons and in social media posts. With GIF use growing across the internet, we want to help photographers and videographers share Wikimedia stories and knowledge content using this popular file format.

What will attendees take away from this session?
  • Introduction to web-based tools (like GIPHY) that allow you to quickly edit video clips into animated GIFs
  • Hands-on practice making GIFs of your own
Theme of presentation
For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?


Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
25 minutes
Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?


Slides or further information (optional)
Special requests

Projector to show tools and processes

Is this Submission a Draft or Final?


Interested attendees[edit]

If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).

  1. Atudu (talk) 08:09, 15 January 2018 (UTC)[reply]
  2. Anthere (talk) 00:11, 16 January 2018 (UTC)[reply]
  3. Alangi Derick (talk) 08:59, 25 January 2018 (UTC)[reply]

Committee decision[edit]