|A quick search on Commons suggested|
|Status of the proposal|
|Details of the proposal|
|Project description||Phrasebooks are guides with basic but useful language information. They are typically travel-related but do not have to be; a phrasebook could potentially be useful anywhere you meet someone who speaks a language you do not know. WikiPhrasebooks, if created as a project, would make online phrasebooks easily accessible, all on a single wiki rather than on other wikis, such as Wikiversity, Wikivoyage, etc. By making WikiPhrasebooks as a separate project, editors would have more chance to edit articles about a language they know.|
|Is it a multilingual wiki?||There would need to be multiple language versions, since each phrasebook would need to be designed for someone who speaks a certain native tongue.|
|Potential number of languages||Per above, different Spanish phrasebooks would be needed on French and English wikis, etc.|
|Proposed tagline||Collection of online phrasebooks or Online phrasebook library|
|New features to require||No new features would be necessary for this project.|
|Please see WikiPhrasebooks#People interested|
WikiPhrasebooks is an idea for an online phrasebook library. By creating an online phrasebook wiki, it would hopefully be easier to develop and coordinate all phrasebooks on Wikimedia websites. Various speakers of various languages from around the Wikimedia Community would be able to easily contribute their knowledge of multiple languages with basic information for anyone who is looking for information about basic phrases in a particular language. My (User:SelfieCity) thought is that one page would be used per phrasebook, where possible, but if more than, say, two hundred words or phrases are used in one phrasebook, it could be split into subpages.
This is just an idea, but it would be great to see a new project be launched on Wikimedia, dedicated to phrasebooks, similar to the way that WikiJournals has been developed and hopefully will be created as a project. As I see it, a phrasebook library would have one advantage that would assist content development: as long as someone knows the language, they could develop the phrasebook.
There is a decent number of phrasebooks currently existing on Wikivoyage. Some transwikis could be performed from Wikivoyage to WikiPhrasebooks.
- WikiPhrasebook (singular)
- Wikivoyage phrasebooks — an option, as stated above, would be transwiki.
- Initially perhaps https://www.phrasebooks.wikimedia.org and then for a domain, wikiphrasebooks.org or wikiphrasebook.org
None at the moment
Not, as far as I know
- Well, this is a brilliant idea... despite the fact that it exists in Wikivoyage and apparently wiktionary according to Pppery's statement. A phrasebook would not only be useful for traveling, but for schooling and etc... however, people might find it easier to use google translate and find out the phrase. Competing with that is hard enough. It is ad-free, compact and takes much less loading time, not to mention the pronunciation assistant. Even if this website gets successfully published, it would remain unknown to most. Arep Ticous 17:37, 5 August 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose as redundant to Wiktionary. * Pppery * it has begun 03:07, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- What I'm not seeing there, however, is an article for phrasebooks with a page designated for each language. I'm just seeing directories that link to more dictionary definitions. That's not the point here. Could you provide me with a more specific link? Thank you. SelfieCity (talk) 20:30, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose This is redundant to Wiktionary and Wikivoyage and maybe even parts of the learning modules of Wikibooks and Wikiversity. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 02:29, 24 September 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose ChristianSW (talk) 16:54, 1 January 2020 (UTC)
- This nomination of mine should probably be withdrawn due to lack of support. SelfieCity (talk) 19:54, 2 January 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose: Wikisource, Wikiquote, Wiktionary. BoldLuis (talk) 00:37, 2 May 2020 (UTC)
- Strong oppose - Per everyone above. Arthurfan828 (talk) 20:30, 18 May 2020 (UTC)
- @SelfieCity: Can't this be covered by Wikivoyages? Wikivoyages in all languages are providing phrasebooks in several languages. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:00, 27 October 2020 (UTC)
- Probably best to withdraw this request. At the time I thought it was a neat idea but it seems like a destabilizing change to other wikis now I think about it more. SelfieCity (talk) 15:46, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- Strong oppose Basically Wikivoyage. Random Wikimedian (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 15:40, 25 February 2021.
- Oppose per Pppery. 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 13:46, 1 March 2021 (UTC)