The #SheSaid drive, part of the Wiki Loves Women initiative, celebrates women leaders by focusing on enhancing their visibility through the creation and improvement of Wikiquote entries related to them.
Since its launch in October 2020, the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has achieved remarkable success. By January 5th, 2021, it had contributed to a total of 867 new or enhanced articles across seven languages, predominantly consisting of new entries. Among the languages, Italian Wikiquote emerged as the clear leader, with 405 articles, closely followed by Ukraine with 187 articles and French with 105 articles. This outstanding outcome is truly incredible, and we extend our gratitude for amplifying the voices of women.
Building upon this success, In 2021, the second edition of the campaign proved to be equally triumphant, resulting in the creation of 1500+ Wikiquote entries across nine languages, with numerous entries also receiving improvements. Italian and Tagalog emerged as the most active languages during this edition, further contributing to the mission of showcasing women's voices.
In 2022, the WLW team was happy to run again the 3rd edition of the campaign which resulted in +4158 articles created or imported and +1918 articles improved.
Smart Objectives for SheSaid Global Campaign
WIA (organiser) SheSaid objectives
- Onboard a minimum of 2 new language communities
- A minimum of 5 communities are inspired to participate
- Support the application of 12 communities or individuals for rapid grant under Community Fund
- Host 5 office hours and training sessions throughout the project
- SheSaid central portal updated for 2023
- SheSaid redlists and queries reconfigured for 2023
- Global social media campaign sees 10% increase in engagement across Wiki Loves Women social platforms
- 5 blog posts
- 2 DIFF articles created
- Encourage documentation of events hosted by organisers
- Experience Feedback Survey conducted with organizers and participants
- All metrics collated and analyzed
SheSaid Campaign objectives
A minimum of ː
- 14 Wikiquote language projects impacted
- 10 national, regional or theme-focused teams (usergroups or volunteer groups) participate
- 4,500 entries created or improved
SheSaid Grants in 2023
14 grant applications have been submitted, the 6 bellow are approuvedː
- Approvedː Nigeria
- Approvedː Porto-Novo, Bénin
- Approvedː Rwanda
- Approvedː Burundi
- Approvedː DR Congo
- Approvedː Nigeria (individual)
SheSaid Events in 2023
Running between 1 October and 31 December 2023:
Participating Linguistic communities
- SheSaid on the Arabic Wikquote
- SheSaid on the Italian wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Gungbe wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Catalan wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Ukrainian Wikiquote
- SheSaid on the French wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Spanish wikiquote
- SheSaid on the English wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Bengali wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Igbo wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Central Bikol (bcl) and Tagalog (tl)
- SheSaid on the German wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Slovene wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Swahili wikiquote
- SheSaid on the Assamese wikiquote
The Wiki Loves Women hosted 7 office hoursː
- 2 Office Hors about grants in French and English.
- 5 Office Hours on how to edit Wikiquote in 3 languages (Arabic, French and English), below are links to some recordingsː
The following are the blogposts that have been published about the #SheSaid campaign:
- Wiki In Africa Websiteː #SheSaid: Honoring the Influence of Women and Their Impactful Quotes
- Diff Wikimediaː Empowering Through Words: Celebrating Women and Their Powerful Quotes
The WLW team designed visuals like postcards, bookmarks, social media visuals, videos and banners to promote the campaign and Wikiquote and to engage the audience and generate interest in the initiative.
See the launch video from here.
This year, the #SheSaid 2023 campaign had a central notice to help better reach more participating communities and wikimedians.