All names - Abstract Wikipedia and Wikilambda - are preliminary and meant mostly for writing this proposal and discussing it.
The current names are based on the following idea:
- Abstract Wikipedia: the content in Abstract Wikipedia abstracted away from a concrete language
- Wikilambda: this is based on the notion that all functions can be grounded in en:lambda calculus. Also, Wλ looks kinda geeky.
Note that the name "Abstract Wikipedia" will not, in fact, stick around. When the project is done, Abstract Wikipedia will be just a part of Wikidata. This is just a name for the development work, and therefore naming is not that crucial. Wikilambda on the other hand would be a new Wikimedia project, and thus the name will have rather high visibility. It would be good to come up with a good name for that.
There have been three good reasons against the name Wikilambda brought up so far:
- It is really hard to spell for many people (says Effeietsanders)
- Some people keep misreading it as Wikilambada (says Jean-Frédéric)
- It also easily misreads as WikiIambda / Wikiiambda (that's, with yet another i / I instead of the l / L), so it should at least be WikiLambda with a capital L (suggested by Fuzheado)
Alternative names that have been considered or suggested:
- WikiSetta or WikiRosetta (by BugWarp)
- Multilingual Wikipedia
- Translingual Wikipedia (by Deryck Chan)
- Project Eco (to honor Umberto Eco’s work, in particular the book “The search for a perfect language”, which details the history of projects which have failed at the goals of this project)
- Project Aquinas (which is more a play on words on the term "knowledge acquisition" than the philosopher Thomas of Aquinas)
- Wikidata Abstract Content
- Wikifunction for the Function repository
- UniversalPedia (as per ChristianKl)
- WikiWords and WW (as per Zblace)
- Wikigram or Wikiprogram
- WikipediaOne User:devayon
- Wikifranca (as per Seemplez)
- Hohonupedia (hohonu being the Hawaiian word for 'deep' as opposed to wiki (quick)). Or simply Deep Wikipedia.
- MultiWiki gkellogg.
- Wikipedia LF
- AIMO or Aimopedia (Abstract Input, Multilingual Output)
- Wikicode (Amir E. Aharoni, also Ryan524~metawiki in 2006)
- Wikiglobal (Amir E. Aharoni)
- Wikiglobe (Amir E. Aharoni)
- Wikitemplates (Amir E. Aharoni, also Zaenon in 2017)
- Wikirepo (Amir E. Aharoni)
- Wikiuniverse (Amir E. Aharoni)
- Wikishare (Amir E. Aharoni)
- Wikisum (Hay)
- Wikibabel (Hay)
- Wikiversal (Hay)
- Wikitolk (Hay)
- Wikiglot (Hay)
- WikiPreTranslate (user:Victorgrigas)
- Wikifacts (Moedn)
- WikiCortex (PaulAsimov)
- WikiChunks (PaulAsimov)
- General Wikipedia (by Niklitov)
- Wikigeneral (by Niklitov)
- Hyperpedia (by Niklitov)
- HyperWiki (by Niklitov)
- Datapedia (by Niklitov)
- Big Wikipedia (by Niklitov)
- BigDaPedia (by Niklitov)
Other suggestions are welcome.
In fact, the first task P1.1 for the project will be to decide with the community together on a name and on a logo. This had precedence for previous projects (Logo of Wikidata, Name of Wikivoyage).
- Continued in Wikilambda goals.