Wikimaps User Group
Join the Wikimaps User Group!
This is the start of the Wikimaps User Group Page.
Wikimaps User Group will gather Wikimedia users engaged with a variety of activities with geographic information, from across the movement.
- 1 The members
- 2 Project idea
- 3 Goals
- 4 Plan for 2017
- 5 Communication
- 6 Projects in the scope of the group
- 7 AffCom Resolutions
- 8 Activities log
- Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk): I have worked on mapping related projects, especially the Wikimaps Warper and Wikimaps Nordic projects. Currently, I am enthusiastic about expanding workflows for historical mapping to include historical pictures and data about places.
- Abbe98 (talk): Previously both involved in the Wikimaps Nordics project and the Wikimaps Warper one.
- Sabas88 (talk): As an OSM mapper, I would like to join and at this moment I'm more interested in current geodata than historical.
- Puik (talk): I have been building a crowdsourcing geotagging platform Ajapaik.ee for old pictures (mostly photographs, but also paintings, graphic art), that would benefit a lot from georeferenced old maps and has many other overlapping aspects with open mapping.
- Peter (Southwood) (talk): I make underwater dive site maps for Wikivoyage. I don't know how I can help, but it may be possible.
- 18.104.22.168: I am willing to provide expertise and experience in the mapping projects, tools and software that l have interacted with in my line of work to help the community grow, prosper and make a difference in the world.
- Iazyges (talk):I mostly edit for classical history, I don't know how much I can help but ill try.
Join the group
- You can join the group by adding your signature here
- Bodhisattwa (talk) 15:34, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
- Sami Mlouhi (talk) 16:15, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
- Planemad (talk) 18:33, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
- Chippyy (talk) 16:09, 4 January 2017 (UTC
- Petrikola (talk) 13:33, 4 March 2017 (UTC)
- Samat (talk) 16:47, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- --Ziko (talk) 17:25, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits
- Rehman 23:25, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- Seddon (WMF) (talk) 23:36, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- seav (talk) 23:48, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
- Beeyan (talk) 05:10, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Discott (talk) 06:58, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Htonl (talk) 14:53, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Nemo 10:05, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- —M@sssly✉ 11:02, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- naveenpf (talk) 11:51, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- deb (talk) 15:08, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- Bertdeb (talk) 15:24, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- NMaia (talk) 15:21, 11 March 2017 (UTC)
- Dyolf77 (talk) 11:03, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- — 0x010C ~talk~ 15:22, 28 March 2017 (UTC)
- Todrobbins (talk) 16:18, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
- Technolalia (talk) 10:03, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
- --Geraki TL 08:47, 10 April 2017 (UTC)
- DerFussi (Wikivoyage/de) 14:48, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- RolandUnger (Wikivoyage/de) (talk) 15:16, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Sam Wilson 15:46, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 16:38, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Mikel Maron (talk 18:42, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Archeolucia (talk) 18:59, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 19:00, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
- HakanIST (talk) 19:28, 13 August 2017 (UTC)
- Minh Nguyễn 💬 05:28, 14 August 2017 (UTC)
- Simon04 (talk) 05:12, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- --Alexmar983 (talk) 05:05, 16 October 2017 (UTC)
- Gopala Krishna A (talk) 13:34, 17 November 2017 (UTC)
The international Wikimaps community is spread geographically, and will benefit from a stronger sense of community and support. A user group creates an established Wikimedia community, but it will still remain a lightweight non-organization. Ideas can more easily be matured in collaboration and brought forward in the Wikimedia movement.
Wikimaps activities have been focusing on historical mapping, but the user group is made for all mapping related activities. The goal is that people with many different ideas for using the geographic component in their projects can come together, share their expertise and help each other forward.
There is already an active Facebook group with 351 members. The maps-l mailing list at Wikimedia is used for communication within the group. The Wikimaps blog is being hosted by Wikimedia Finland, and can be transferred, if needed.
Additionally the group could write a newsletter promoting projects, announcing events and discussing technical development.
The group will select a representative to Wikimedia Conference to connect more closely with programmatic planning in the movement.
Wiki Loves Maps Helsinki was an event hosted in Helsinki in 2015. A similar event took place in Norway at #Hack4NO. We also propose that Wiki Loves Maps would become a yearly event as a meeting and a creative hack event between the OpenStreetMap, Wikimedia and other open geodata communities, such as humanitarian mapping, governmental open geodata, data journalism or digital humanities groups.
Plan for 2017
These topics are discussed on a subpage. Join the discussion!
- Options for financial and organisational arrangements. Interest in aiming to become a thematic organisation.
- Need for financial support
- Principles of initiating projects for content collaboration and technical development
- Interest in arranging a Wiki Loves maps event in 2017/2018
- Outreach plan for 2017 (workshops, presentations)
- Communication channels
- Tasks and responsibilities
- Wikimaps Facebook group
- Wikimaps blog
- maps-l mailing list
- Wikimaps has published a newsletter earlier
Projects in the scope of the group
Please add projects with a spatial dimension from across the movement to the list! When you do, please join the group as well!
Historical maps in Commons
Geospatial data in Wikidata
- WikiProject Historical Place
- WikiProject Maps with Properties for historical maps in Wikidata
- Created properties for Spatial Reference System, Date depicted. Proposal for describing a bounding box is pending. Discussion.
- Philippine Historical Markers Map
Wikimedia Maps (WMF)
- Wikimedia Maps
- Kartographer extension. Mapframe and Maplink help.
- Kartotherian service.
- Map data in Commons. Tabular data in Commons.
- Graph extension. Map example. More examples.
Wikimedia on OpenStreetMap
- Wikidata page on the OSM wiki
- Wikidata-related tags
- OpenStreetMap Wikidata match validator
GLAMpipe for uploading media and data, including maps
Maps uploads, data projects, content collaboration, mapping, collaboration with mappers, mapathons, datathons, expeditions, Wikivoyage maps, maps visualizations, location based projects... Please list your project and join the group!
- Wikimaps User Group Recognition February 2017
Please add activities with a spatial dimension from across the movement to the list and join the group!
- GLAMpipe project gets a Wikimedia Project Grant. December 2016. The current development for the GLAMpipe project is to ensure it's usability by working with the target users. Additionally, an upload node to Wikidata will be developed. The tool can also manage georeferenced maps. Grant page.
- Browsing Georeferenced Maps on Wikimedia Commons. Albin Larsson created a gadget that displays a warped map in the Wikimedia Commons file page. Blog post.
- Working with Data in MediaWiki and Wikimedia. September–December 2016, Helsinki. Niklas Laxström and Susanna Ånäs ran a course at Helsinki University. The students learned visualising SPARQL queries with Kartographer maps, Listeria lists and Histropedia timelines. Project pages in Meta.
- Nordic open geodata meetup #Hack4NO, 27 October, Kartverket, Hønefoss, Norway. Organizing a Nordic meetup of maps & cultural heritage & Wikimedia practitioners. Program and notes Blog post. Hackathon project WikiOSMark by Erno Mäkinen. Blog post.
- Beyond The Basics: What Next For Crowdsourcing? DH2016, 11–16 July 2016, Krakow. Participating in an expert workshop about the future directions of crowdsourcing in arts and humanities projects. The workshop is organised by Mia Ridge (British Library), Meghan Ferriter (Smithsonian Transcription Centre), Christy Henshaw (Wellcome Library) and Ben Brumfield (FromThePage) in the Digital Humanities 2016 conference. Workshop notes. Blog post.
- Second Swiss Cultural Hackathon 3–4 June 2016, Basel, Switzerland. Running a workshop on Wikimaps. Hackathon project with bringing historical map data into a game map in Cities: Skylines. Tweet.
- Wikimania 2016 2016, Esino Lario, Italy. Running workshops on Wikimaps and Wikidata. Blog post in Finnish.
- #Hack4FI 2016, Helsinki. Wikidata peer learning group at the #Hack4FI hackathon, organized by AvoinGLAM. Presentation. Result: Pori Art Bot by Erno Mäkinen.
- WikiProject Historical Place A collaborative project to negotiate the best practices of modelling historical places: names, location, administrative hierarchy over time in Wikidata. Project page.
- Wikimaps Warper 2.0 2016, Enhancing the Wikimaps Warper tool, together with Tim Waters, Albin Larsson and Ari Häyrinen. Documentation.
- GLAMpipe metadata tool, 2016. Creation of a metadata enhancement and upload tool GLAMpipe. Development by Ari Häyrinen. Funded by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Wikimaps Nordic final report 2014–15. Wikimaps Nordic was a joint effort by Wikimedia chapters and memory institutions in Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Norway and Denmark to bring historical maps to Wikimedia and develop further ways to utilize them. Making available the Wikimaps Warper tool was part of the project. Project initiation and coordination.
- NordLOD, Stockholm, September 2015. Focus on Wikidata and maps.
- #Hack4NO 2015, Hønefoss, Norway. Participation at the #Hack4NO hackathon with a maps emphasis, organized by Kartverket, Norway. Upload of Kartverket maps.
- DroneArt Helsinki! / Nordic Open Data Week, 2015, Helsinki. Workshop of 3D imaging public artworks, in collaboration with Maptime Helsinki and AvoinGLAM. Blog post in Finnish and in English. Hackpad.
- Digital Humanities Hackathon 11–15 May 2015, Helsinki. Helsinki University arranged a 1-week hackathon DHH’15. Wikimaps and Geohumanities were presented. Presentation.
- Wikimaps goes Maptime! at GLAM-Wiki / GLAM-Wiki 2015, 8–10 April 2015, Den Haag, Netherlands. A Wikimaps / Maptime workshop together with Bert Spaan / Waag Society. Etherpad, Programme page
- Wiki Loves Maps, 5–8 February 2015, Helsinki. Wiki Loves Maps seminar and hackathon about historical maps, collaboration between Wikimedia and memory organizations and capturing local history. Blog post.
- We are here. Where do we go next? Iberoconf, 20 November 2014, Buenos Aires. Summarizing Moving Historical Geodata to the Web and the State of the Map. Presentation, blog post.
- State of the Map, Buenos Aires 7–9 November, 2014. Presentation and a mini workshop.
- Moving Historical Geodata to the Web 5–7 November 2014, New York. Workshop by the New York Public Library. Collaborative website.
- Enhancements for the Wikimaps Warper: OAuth, integration of OpenHistoricalMap editor, Warper code revision
- Wikimania hackathon, London 6–10 August. Link.
- Inaugural meeting of GeoHumanities SIG / DH2014, 8–12 July 2014, Lausanne, Switzerland Digital Humanities 2014. Inaugural meeting of GeoHumanities SIG. Wikimaps presentation and position paper.
- Third Digital Humanities Finland Symposium (#digihumfi) Symposium, Thursday 5 June 2014, 10:00-13:00, Fabiania Auditorium, National Library of Finland, Helsinki, Wikimaps presentation. Link.
- Wiki Loves Maps Expert Meeting in Amsterdam, arranged by the Dutch chapter. See the project page.
- Wikimaps supports OpenHistoricalMap server maintenance.
- Wikimaps and OpenHistoricalMap mentor a Wikimedia Foundation supported FOSS OPW intern together. Blog post.
- Wikimedia Hackathon 9-11 May 2014, Zürich. The hackathon had a maps theme. The event page and the Wikimaps blog post.
- Wikimaps Nordic Kick-off workshop 28 February 2014, Helsinki. See the blog post and the event page at Lanyrd.
- COST ENERGIC STSM 13–24 January 2014, Oxford, London Academic visit in Oxford Internet Institute at the University of Oxford and Extreme Citizen Science Research Group at the University College of London. Read the Wikimaps blog post.
- Monthly Wikimaps Hangouts in 2014 for 2 groups: The Wikimaps Nordic and the Designers & Developers. The documentation is at the Wikimaps events page.
- Wikipedia Academy, Oslo, Norway, 14 December 2013. Link.
- Wikimaps Nordic November 2013 Wikimaps gets project fundingfrom Nordisk Kulturfond.
- Pelagios 3 meeting 9–11 September 2013, New York Presenting Wikimaps and OpenHistoricalMap, discussing common goals.
- State of the Map 6–8 September 2013, Birmingham State of the Map, Birmingham, UK. Presentation by Susanna Ånäs. Birds-of-a-feather meeting with OHM.
- Wikimaps Tartu–Hong Kong. Series of events where maps of Tartu were taken through the Wikimaps process. Workshop in Tartu – DevCamp in Wikimania.Presentation slides.
- 4 August 2013 Workshop for Tartu maps, Tartu, Estonia. State of the Map Baltics from 3 August 2013 until 4 August 2013.
- 7 August 2013 Wikimania DevCamp, Wikimaps geodata round table
- 10 August 2013 Presentation at Wikimania 2013, Hong Kong by Susanna Ånäs & Maarten Dammers. Cooperation with Open Historical Map Code Sprint.
- 30 June 2013 until 5 July 2013 The 25th International Conference on the History of Cartography Helsinki, Finland
- 29 June 2013 Meeting of ISCEM, International Society of Curators of Early Maps, related to the conference. Susanna presents Wikimaps. Presentation slides
- Historical OpenStreetMaps group is interested in collaboration (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OHM, http://www.openhistoricalmap.org/).
- Wikimedia Hackathon / Wikimedia Nederlands 24–26 May 2013, Wikimedia Commons page Amsterdam started. memo
- GLAM-Wiki 2013 / Wikimedia UK 13 April 2013, British Library, London First presentation of the Wikimaps initiative. Presentation.