Wikimedia CH/Call for projects 2017/Scanning books for Wikisource
Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant:
- Yann Forget
Please provide a detailed description of your project:
- Scanning books not already available online for Wikisource. We will ask people to bring their old books and help scanning them.
Please provide a detailed budget for your request: This is a rough estimation.
- Book scanner : 1200 CHF (according to )
- Scans by Swiss libraries for books which can't borrowed : 1500 CHF
- Buying books (from secondhand book shops) : 1000 CHF
- Various cost (transport, etc.) : 1000 CHF
- TOTAL : 4700 CHF
Please explain what influence your activity will have on Wikimedia Projects:
(Quantitative: number of new pictures uploaded to commons, number of active and new editors involved, number of new articles created & Qualitative: strengthen the community of XXX etc)
- This will help extend Wikisource subjects and coverage. It is a first try for a long term multilingual community project.
How does your project fulfill WMCH's focus on GLAM, Education and Community programs?
- It would increase awareness about Wikisource to GLAM. So it has also the potential to increase exchange between communities.
Provide the provisional target start date and completion date:
- About one year.
Provide any other information you believe helps to understand your project better:
Please note that only applications that have been completed in full will be considered.
If you are not able to submit your request via a wiki, please use the same template and send your proposal via firstname.lastname@example.org.
All scans have been imported to Commons and are available at c:Category:Scans_by_the_Library_of_Geneva.
In total, there are 59 books (one was not in the public domain, so it was imported, and then deleted. It can be undeleted in 2023). For each book, there is a high quality low compression PDF file (up to 286 MB), and a high compression DjVu file.
The corresponding books are available at s:fr:Catégorie:Scans de la bibliothèque de Genève.
Among these, several have already been corrected and published: