Wikimedia Foundation GLAM team
Our strategic direction states: "By 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us." As the GLAM & Culture team within Community Programs at the Foundation, Fiona Romeo (WMF), Satdeep Gill (WMF) and Giovanna Fontenelle (WMF) are dedicated to making it easier for cultural institutions to collaborate with the Wikimedia movement.
(GLAM is an acronym for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums.)
The impact of this program is visible in the next five years when:
- Movement organisers and volunteers understand GLAM motivations and are confident to approach suitable content partners for their projects.
- GLAMs adopt open access policies and advocate for free knowledge.
- GLAMs contribute large volumes of high-impact images to Wikimedia projects using accessible tools that are well documented and supported.
- Content contributed by GLAMs is discoverable and used by communities to address gaps in knowledge and representation.
- Resources and workflows are emerging for the integration of intangible heritage and oral knowledge in Wikimedia projects.
- There is a robust exchange of knowledge and shared standards between the movement and GLAM professionals, leading to linked open data for cultural heritage.
Meet the team
Senior Manager, GLAM and Culture
Program Officer, GLAM and Underrepresented Knowledge
Program Officer, GLAM and Culture