- Note: the name "Wikipedia" is often confused with several other, similar, names; please see the glossary for an explanation of these.
Nagsimula ang proyekto sa Wikipedia sa Wikang Ingles noong Enero 15, 2001. Sinamahan din iyon ng edisyong Pranses, at pagkatapos ay ng ilan pang mga wika. Nasa progreso na ang mga malaking pagsisikap upang mabigyang-marka ang likas na pang-internasyonal ng proyekto.
Noong ika-20 ng Setyembre 2004 umabot Wikipedia sa kabuuang 1,000,000 artikulo sa halos 100 wika.
Noong ika-1 ng Marso 2006, umabot ang Wikipedia Ingles ng 1,000,000 artikulo. Noong ika-9 ng Setyembre 2007, umabot naman ito ng 2,000,000 artikulo. Noong ika-17 Agosto 2009 naman, 3,000,000 artikulo. Noong ika-13 Hulyo 2012, 4,000,000 artikulo. At noong ika-1 Nobyembre 2015, 5,000,000 artikulo.
Noong Oktubre 2019, mayroon nang 295 Wikipedia na may higit pa sa 100 artikulo, 144 nito ay may higit pa sa 10,000 artikulo, at 62 nito ay may higit pa sa 100,000 artikulo.
Following the English language Wikipedia, the German (27 December 2009), French (21 September 2010), Dutch (17 December 2011), Italian (22 January 2013), Russian (11 May 2013), Spanish (16 May 2013), Swedish (15 June 2013), Polish (24 September 2013), Waray (8 June 2014), Vietnamese (15 June 2014), Cebuano (16 July 2014), Japanese (19 January 2016), Chinese (13 April 2018) and Portuguese editions (26 June 2018) have more than 1,000,000 articles.
On 5 September 2015, the Swedish Wikipedia hit 2,000,000 articles followed by the Cebuano Wikipedia on 14 February 2016, by the German Wikipedia on 19 November 2016 and by the French Wikipedia on 8 July 2018.
On 27 April 2016, the Swedish Wikipedia hit 3,000,000 articles followed by the Cebuano Wikipedia on 25 September 2016.
On 11 February 2017, the Cebuano Wikipedia hit 4,000,000 articles.
On 8 August 2017, the Cebuano Wikipedia hit 5,000,000 articles.
As of Oktubre 2019, there are 305 language editions of Wikipedia, which collectively have more than 50 million articles.
Para sa detalyadong estadistika, tingnan ang Tala ng mga Wikipedia
In 2004 Wikipedia won the Webby Award for "Community" and the Prix Ars Electronica for "Digital Community". In 2015, the Erasmus Prize was awarded to the Wikipedia community collectively.
Mga teksto tungkol sa Wikipedia
- Wikipedia - by Mark Jeays, 2002 – an article for the The Canadian Writer's Guide (13th Edition)
- Wikipedia (Everything2) – an Everything2 node by Axel Boldt
- List of Wikipedias
- List of largest wikis
- Pundasyong Wikimedia
- Wikimedia projects
- Wikipedia:Multilingual statistics
- Hardware maintenance and software development: MediaWiki development
- Wikimedia principles
- Some projects with a small and weak community can reach a large size due to the mass generation of low-quality content by the bot. The most striking example of this kind is the Swedish and Cebuano Wikipedia. See also Proposals for closing Cebuano Wikipedia in October 2017.