AvoinGLAM worked as a joint working group connecting Wikimedia Finland, Open Knowledge Finland, and Creative Commons Finland's work in 2021. Wikimedia Finland contributed to the working group with the work of the GLAM coordinator Susanna Ånäs. Creative Commons Finland / Open Knowledge Finland managed the Hack4OpenGLAM hackathon.
- AvoinGLAM charter
- GLAM-Wiki activity plan for 2021 at Wikimedia Finland (Activity run with Wikimedia funding for Wikimedia Finland)
The 2021 activities are kicked off with a series of discussions. AvoinGLAM invites cultural practitioners from all directions to discuss Open Access to cultural heritage and co-create new initiatives together. See the event page in the AvoinGLAM blog.
- 4 February 2021 Cultural restitution in Benin with Andrea Wallace, Mahuton Possoupe, Fawaz Taïrou, Heikki Kastemaa, and Brigitte Vézina.
- 18 February Archival treasures of the Helsinki Metropolitan area organized by Helsinki Region Infoshare
- 25 February Crowdsourcing historical images organized by Ajapaik
- 4 March A wiki museum for Aleksanteri Ahola-Valo with Elpo ry and guest speakers
- 17 March Presented Hack4OpenGLAM in Open cultural data in citizen science organized by CitizenHeritage Erasmus+ project at Open Belgium
- 27 May Data Roundtripping at Wikidata Lab XXIX
- 29 June Hack4OpenGLAM 2021 Launch
- 15 October AvoinGLAM organized a discussion on The new DSM legislation in collaboration with the GLAM sector juridical group. Discussion and support materials for GLAMs.
- Hack4OpenGLAM at the Creative Commons Global Summit. This activity is managed by Creative Commons Finland and administered by Open Knowledge Finland.
- 21 October, 18 November, 16 December participated in the Open GLAM Platform calls
- 29–31 October WikidataCon 2021
- Sister projects & Languages track curation, Susanna Ånäs & Mike Peel
- Don't get hit by a Bus session with Sandra Fauconnier, Susanna Ånäs, Kat Thornton, Antonin Delpeuch, Dalton Martins, and Alicia Fagerving
- Wikidocumentaries – Invitation to collaboration – session with Boddhisattwa Mandal, Bert Spaan, Tuukka Hastrup & Susanna Ånäs (slides)
- 10–12 November Europeana Conference 2021
- Cultural heritage hackathons in the realm of all-digital solutions – Panel with Philippe Genêt / Coding da Vinci and Susanna Ånäs, chaired by Katerina Zourou
- Hack4OpenGLAM – Presentations with Amber Osman, Bhuvana Meenakshi, Ranjit Menon, Rashad Al-Khmisy and Susanna Ånäs
- 3 December Driving engagement: participatory approaches to digital cultural heritage Europeana event accompanying the Slovenian Presidency
- 13 December participated in one of the inDICEs policy recommendations workshops
- 16 December participated in the discussion on Wiki Loves Monuments database on Wikidata
- 22 December interviewed about Wiki Loves Monuments in Finland
- 25 November Kulttuuriperinnön avoimuuden avaimet, Pirkanmaan museot
- Europeana Digital Transformation Task Force / Susanna
- Workshops until February 2022
- Creative Commons Global Network Council Executive Committee / Susanna
- Possibility to initiate regional meetings
- Digitaalisen kulttuuriperinnön pyöreä pöytä / Susanna
- Paikkatietoryhmä (National Geodata Group) / Susanna. The aim is to design the data model for historical places to be used in YSO.
- Time Machine Finland / Susanna
- Finna consortium group / Tove
- Finto steering group / Kimberli
- The Language Hub / Kimberli
- Wikimedia Language Committee / Kimberli
GLAM case studies
- BiographySampo to Wikidata (Collaboration with SeCo / Aalto University, HELDIG and the Finnish Literature Society SKS)
- Saami place names to Wikidata as lexicographical data (collaboration with WMNO and Finnish partners)
- Structured data for GLAM-Wiki/Roundtripping Collaborative enquiry into case studies and challenges based on the results of Wikimedia Commons Data Roundtripping. (collaboration with Wiki Movimiento Brasil).
- Jupyter Notebooks for spatial reconciliation at the Wikimedia Hackathon. Part of a joint effort to promote the use of the Wikimedia PAWS environment.
- From digitization to Open Access for small collections (Based on the Ahola-Valo discussion)
- Digital guide: working with open licences. This project is a proposal for a collaborative effort to create a generic guide for publishing as Open Access, based on the The National Lottery Heritage Fund's publication by Dr Andrea Wallace and Dr Mathilde Pavis at the University of Exeter.
- Hack4OpenGLAM 20–24 September. Submission at The Wikimedia Conference Grants. Successful.
- Public domain. Submission at the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture. Unsuccessful.
- Support for the Saami languages in YSO the Finnish General Ontology. Submission with the National Library to the Kone Foundation. Unsuccessful.
- AvoinGLAM 2022. Submission for Wikimedia Foundation for the activities of AvoinGLAM in 2022. Successful.
- This Month in GLAM February 2021 Finland report: Focus on learning by Susannaanas
- This Month in GLAM March 2021 Finland report: Enriching indigenous items in Wikidata by Yupik
- This Month in GLAM April 2021 Finland report: Saami place names by Susannaanas
- This Month in GLAM May 2021 Special story: Wikimedia Hackathon report: Upgrading GLAM tech tools and PAWS by Fuzheado, Abbe98 & Susannaanas
- This Month in GLAM June 2021 Special story: Play, experiment and cross borders at Hack4OpenGLAM by Susannaanas