Best practices in public outreach
|Events - Meetups|
|Presentations – Speakers|
|Workshops – Exhibitions|
|Resources for target groups|
|Resources for evangelists|
Best practice in public outreach is a collection of articles describing experiences in winning new volunteers, partners, content, and audiences. Given that several chapters already developed successful projects to engage new target groups or deepen relationships to newly Wikimedians, this page is a forum for those who want to share their knowledge and for those who want to spread the word.
This is not a comprehensive list. If you would like to share your idea how to engage new people, please write your article here or help to expand best practice articles. Be bold!
If you don’t have much experience yet, but you would like to share your knowledge about Wikimedia projects or tell people about the benefits you receive from contributing to Wikipedia then find here a project suitable to your own background. Anybody can start his or her own public outreach project. Special skills are not required. These pages are developed by volunteers and serve as a step by step tutorial. Every project targets at a different group and gives special tips how to approach and interact in this particular environment. Working in public outreach it is helpful to keep some general strategies in mind!
Join the team!
A team of Wikimedians from different countries is working on extending and improving the best practice pages on this wiki. Please feel invited to join the team by adding your name on Best practices documentation team.
Please help us to improve the following pages so that a (newly) Wikipedian is able to sucessfully accomplish a public outreach project.
- Best practices in building a content partnership with a cultural institution
- Best practices in giving a Wikipedia presentation
- Best practices in organizing a Wikipedia workshop
- Best practices in organizing a Wikipedia exhibition
- Best practices in setting up a Wikipedia booth at a third-party event
- Best practices in planning a Wikipedia Academy
- Best practices in assigning Wikipedia articles as coursework to students
- Best practices in using Wikibooks in the classroom
- Best practices in exercises for Wikipedia newcomers
- Best practices in Wikimedia loves photography events
- Best practices in hosting an IRC open meeting
- Best practices in using CentralNotice
- Best practices in teaching library classes
- Your best practices
Tell people about our vision – Tell people how you have benefited from contributing to Wikipedia – Tell people why Wikipedia needs their help – Some themes that might be interesting to build your presentation around