The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Make the language list accessable
- Problem: At display of a multilingal SVG a drop-down-list ist displayed; this list should be acessible by template or module
- Proposed solution:
- Who would benefit: automatic actualized galleries; no own-written second access to read the source code
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: -- sarang♥사랑 13:43, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Sarang: This sounds like a useful feature, but could you elaborate a bit more on what the language list data would be useful for? SWilson (WMF) (talk) 14:09, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- A general addition to the desription page of a multilingual file, to give the user a comfortable overview, is a gallery how the image displays in all the different languages.
- This gallery is generated by templates which need a parameter list of the contained languages. Currently this list is independent of the languages that are served in fact - when somebody adds languages but does not maintain the parameter list it will differ. Much better would be when the templates get that list automatically & up-to-time, instead of user-designed; an empty list indicates that no language switch exists.
- I am hesitating to write a feature which accesses & analizes the SVG source code: when the tool (unknown to me) which generates the drop-down list of the languages can pass its result somehow to the template, no expensive second access to the source code will be necessary ?
- May be that the list can be provided as an expensive LUA title object (a table element) ? But I am open to any other solution. -- sarang♥사랑 15:58, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- @SWilson (WMF): An example gallery at: c:File:Community Wishlist Survey banner - translatable.svg with 12 languages. -- sarang♥사랑 16:35, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- We have to upload a translation from an external tools, which is not ok. I want to translate it using a MediaWiki tool. Thingofme (talk) 15:55, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Sarang: That makes sense, thanks. You're right, there should be an easier way to get at this data rather than re-parsing the SVG source. SWilson (WMF) (talk) 03:59, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- If I understand correctly it would be nice to have a single structured place to save all the available language editions of a multimedia file and be able to query it from wikitext. So, an user can query this list to show a dropdown of this images in the wikitext, as well as a gallery of these images in the wikitext, as well as other things. More generally, it should be possible to answer the question: what other languages does this file support? and get them from wikitext. --Valerio Bozzolan (talk) 16:33, 11 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Lectrician1 (talk) 02:03, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Images that are translations of the images are ok. Thingofme (talk) 10:06, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Daniel Case (talk) 23:22, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support 4nn1l2 (talk) 07:41, 4 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Mrmw (talk) 08:03, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support — Johannes Kalliauer - Talk | Contributions 08:11, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support kocio ✉ 01:16, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 08:05, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 17:00, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 17:34, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Nice to have if I understand correctly (comment in discussion) Valerio Bozzolan (talk) 16:34, 11 February 2022 (UTC)